Does HDD really need fans for cooling?

Hi,

I just installed a HDD in a external 3.5" slot, right above the floppy drive. It does not have much space of breathing in that location. Does HDD really need proper cooling? or HDD cooling is just a nice to have? thank you.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its just nice to have aslong as the drives are spaced apart from each other

then i shouldnt see any problems, i did have cooling... but i removed the cooling for something else. No difference whatsoever for the hds ;)

Depends on case temps. As long as they are under control, you should be fine. Case temp should be 28C or lower. Good air flow will usually take care of that. I become concerned when my HDD temp approaches 40C.

Depends on case temps. As long as they are under control, you should be fine. Case temp should be 28C or lower. Good air flow will usually take care of that. I become concerned when my HDD temp approaches 40C.

My HD's are always around 40C, and that's in moderate ambient temps.

I'd say yes, most defently they need cooling.

In moderation though, around mid teens it can become bad news for them.

Lower teens and you're gonna be in trouble before you know it.

The upper 30's are trouble as well, that screwsover a hd, makes then start performancing like crap, just check the smart data from time to time, I'm sure they will start getting slower and slower.

If you keep running them in the upper and mid 30's, they're gonna eventually start crapping out and giving either ata errors, or reallocated sectors.

So it's best to cool them to the low 30's if not upper 20's or whatever.

They'll last and perform longer for ya.

As for the dude that runs his hd's around 40c ^^.

JVG81, dude, cool those drives, it doe'nt inpress anyone that you run them at such a high temp.

They're not gonna last long dude, I'm not messing.

I give them maybe half a year at best.

Maybe a month.

I have always had a dual fan cooler unde rmy drives last one lasted 31/2 years at almost 24/7 to me thats pretty good also depends on how often you defrag they really get to spinning then puts alot of heat and wear on them. In short cooling has never hurt anything. I belive it is why almost all cases have changed where they mount the hd so the intake really blows on them.

HD's do die.

Take it from a guy that has 20-30 of them lying around his room.

3TB of space lying around in 80-120gig drives, backed up and whatnot just lying spread.

A> Cooling your drives is important. I didnt' cool a set of mine and they lasted a whole 6months, they would get hot enough to burn you.

B> don't store your drives outside your case and then drop torches on them while they are on. :P

C> don't run a raid0 set for 2 years without defragging it and believe your drives will live.

lol , HD's are my friends.

I do agree the cooler the better. However, I have had my drives running at 40C all the time and they're in perfect health and performing optimally.

Had the same two drives for 3 years, I just keep moving'm from one case to the other.

In my case, 40C is quite alright.

As for the dude that runs his hd's around 40c ^^.

JVG81, dude, cool those drives, it doe'nt inpress anyone that you run them at such a high temp.

LOL Impress? I just stated a fact, leading to the conclusion that isnt really that important. Guess you take everything as a challenge cause you suck in life or are the really annoying competetive type?

Samsung specifies the operating temperatures for the SP2514N from 0 to 60C. Your HD wont die if it gets hotter then 40C for some time, but its better to cool it down if it gets too hot.

So check your temps and take a look at the drives specs to decide. ;)