replaced HSF couldnt get to windows.. cpu broke?

http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showfl...b=5&o=0&fpart=1

Not good , i hope it is just the cpu... as it seems to be clock locking me i cant go

beyond default at all whatever multi, and all after i just replaced the cooler and took the cpu out to clean the old compound off

Is it possible you bent or broke a pin on the CPU when you reinstalled it? May want to pull the CPU back out and take a look. Nothing really could have happened just by removing the CPU and reinstalling it as far as the bios or board goes.

you said u removed the old compound? im assuming you put new compound on? did it spill over on to other parts of the CPU? this is very strange.

Well.. a little bit did get on one of the pins, i had trouble getting the damn heatsink

off..... but i did wipe it off hmmm :eek:

Hi Neil: Two long shots--

1) Any chance some old (or new) TIM fell into the socket pin holes. Try blowing the socket out with some compressed air (with all power disconnected). Had happen once and it was a huge PITA to clean out the socket pin hole. Blow off surrounding mobo as well.

2) Try checking mobo backboard and make sure something isn't shorting it out (TIM, etc)

LUCK!

Well.. a little bit did get on one of the pins, i had trouble getting the damn heatsink

off..... but i did wipe it off hmmm :eek:

errm. You got TIM on processor pins and wiped it off, and you are surprised the CPU doesnt work :rolleyes:

CPU's are very sensitive to static charges, even voltages you cannot feel may kill a CPU.

errm. You got TIM on processor pins and wiped it off, and you are surprised the CPU doesnt work :rolleyes:

CPU's are very sensitive to static charges, even voltages you cannot feel may kill a CPU.

Not my fault the damn stuff was like glue! , the cpu does work it just doesnt

work over default like its clock locked :confused: