Will a 120volt water pump matter?

pinetar

Hello

This is my first visit here. All I have is a pump system and a case so far. I plan to get a dfi ultra-d.

The pump is 120volt and will be mounted outside of the box.

Can the 120-voltage be a problem, separate circuit, not plugged into the case psu.

Sometimes 120V pumps can be a blessing. But, no the pump is 100% electrically seperated from your PC. You may want to look into a nice relay switch to turn the pump on and off with your PC. I used to have a CritiCool that was nice, it plugged into a PCI slot. But, I also had my pump in the case, so you'd probably need to look for something different, unless you don't mind running the pump's power cord out from your case.

I couldn't find anything on your pump.... got any specs?

I searched myself but nothing came up. The motor is 1/20th hp, 3k rpm range. Plastic housing easily removable, c-face motor. The alum. rad. is 8x8"x2.5 thick, 7" fan. Nice unit for $20.

There was some oil in the rad so i assume it was used to cool medical equipment, probably an xray unit.

I would connect all hoses,pump,rad, and cooling blocks together away from case and components and test! Make sure the pump does not overpressurize the system. the last thing you want is hoses blowing off fittings. I don't know what the max psi you can run on a water cooled system. Keep in mind this is from someone that has zero experance with water cooling, so my info above may be worthless but it cant hurt. As far as 120v goes, you should be ok. you should have a 15 amp breaker on the circuit. that should be plenty unless you got a lot of stuff running off of it ( refrig., T.V, microwave, ect.).

I put a T in the line for a filler/bleeder, opened it when h2o was flowing and there was no water exiting at all at that port.

I just realized that a reservoir will be necessary & will I probably use a plastic 5 gal. bottled water jug, but i may run a separate input from a manifold to each cooling block and the same for the output to avoid passing hot water to the next block.

I have no OC experience and am not sure if I should go with an x2 3800/asus or the same with an ultra-D or opteron 170. I want to get this up and running without days of tweaking which I may want to do at a later date.

That is quite the case to work with. So much modding capability. You definitely are not contrained by space.

I think the idea of having external power for the pump is a good idea myself. Keep temperatures down in the computer power supply. I would also add a relay to the mobo on/off circuit. Local ace hardware/home depot would carry what you need there along with a safe insulated enclosure for the open AC current.

I will be adding "Water Wetter" which is used for motorcycle racing. What is marketed for water system additives?

With that aluminum rad in the loop and I'm ASSuming copper waterblocks make sure you have the proper amount of a good additive mixed with your distilled water to help prevent the effects of galvanic corrosion.

-pickles