Help needed please, whats died?

Ugh, so I try to boot up my sytem 2 days ago? getting nothing... nothing but all my fans spinning at full speed. and no posting sounds what-so-ever.

to cut a long story short...

I took my board out of case, tried to run with the bare basics :

-motherboard out of case on piece of thick cardboard.

- one stick of memory in yellow slot.

- cpu / fan (obviously :D).

- case speaker lead connected (for diagnostics).

I don't get any beeps what-so-ever. I have to hold down the power button for 4 seconds to get it to turn off.

also guys, you know with that diagnostic 4 light panel? the first light is off, but lights 2,3,4 are on?

I've tried to fathom out what this means from the manual, it means cpu,dram and vga detected???

Ugh im thinking it's either Motherboard or PSU.

I spoke to OC who i ordered from and they agree either PSU or motherboard? but im having thought maybe CPU?

considering my parts have dropped in price I could end up making cash... :D

Either way due to my supreme impatience (and the bloody fact Morrowind Oblivion is out in USA today and UK stores on friday) I have ordered a new PSU (the new modular 620w enermax) and a replacement motherboard (same one as sig).

Overclockers have said I get 7 days to return parts in new order, so I can return whats broken for a full refund and the working bits.

However I am very tempted to keep the new modular 620w enermax as i love modular PSU, but at the time the enermax 600w was the best I can order.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

I'm sorry not sure what help u need:-

1) Diagnosing what originally went wrong??

2) Congratulating u on which won't happen.

3) Advise on what parts to keep ??

Had you connected all 4 power leads & followed NF4 SLI-DR - NF4 Ultra-D Step by Step New Build

luck :)

well it was more towards what do you guys think is wrong?

the big question is "what does light #1 OFF and #2#3#4 ON mean on the diagnostic light with the SLi-DR?

and yes i most certainly do have all 4 leads in i'm not a fool hehe :).`

my board cos £148 nback in sept it's now £122 and i get the price i paid refunded, so technically that would net me £26 profit

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

ExRoadie

my board cos £148 nback in sept it's now £122 and i get the price i paid refunded
- most stores refund on current £ not what u paid. ie their cost of replacement.

Have you tried the memory in the orange slots?

i've tried running with no memory at all (hence listening for the beeps from the speaker), one memory stick in one slot.

I've also tested...

My two sticks of memory in a friends machine ( no issues working fine).

MY VGA in a friends machine (fine).

I tested my friends PSU on my motherboard (no post).

It's gotta be the Motherboard! just hoping it aint the CPU :(. Either way both are covered.

I think TBH I will keep the modular PSU, as I have heard excellent things about it and wanted a modular for years, but at the time tot HIPER was about the best and that had some serious issues.

That way I will have a spare PSU to boot, so I an just sent my board back for a refund. :D

Guys?

Im scared for losing my data on my Raid O drives =

2*250gb Sata 2 Hitachi deskstars (raid 0)

If i connect these back up on the new board, obviously I dont want to create a new array, im just praying i can recover the data, as I have around 400gb of data that I could lose. INLCUDING MY MUSIC, OMFG> :(