Chipset fan is really loud

My chipset fan recently has really started making quite a lot of noise

its a loud whirring sound, i dont wanna say grinding but it almost sounds like that

anything i can do about it?

RMA or buy a VC-RE chipset fan (about $5). There are alot of threads about this issue and the VCRE. Replacing it will result in much quieter operation as well as lowering your chipset temp.

sup jesus....

I installed the evercool vc-re this morning on my ultra-d. It does fit and it was fairly easy to seat by putting one of the pins in one hole and pushing the other inward and down. Fit like a glove. No probs ....except... It was too tall for my card by about 1mm. Just put your card in the bottom pci-e slot if the cooler is too tall. By doing it this way it increased my airflow to the chipset as well. I got a nice temp drop at idle and load. I didn't think it was possible but it does work well. Definatly worth the 8$.

I've seen alot of peeps with cards that do fit over the top of it...but not mine.

• 1 month later...

wow

my chipset fan just started making a lot of noise, but only at mid range rpms.

It starts up working fine and then gets to about 4.3-4.6k rpm and makes noise. At high rpms (7k) it makes as much noise as it used to (it wasn't noticeable) . Now I can clearly hear my chipset fan, even over the 5 80mm fans in my case and my cpu cooler which gets loud when I turn it up to 4.8k rpm

do you know why all of a sudden a chipset would be making loud noises? and how come only at mid range rpm's vs high rpms ?