DFI better on BIOS yet?

Hello, I'm currently using a ABIT KN8-SLI and due to my case layout (Lian Li V1200. Reverse ATX) My North Bridge has been over heating.

So I currently have two options. Give DFI a try AGAIN (I used a DFI LP on my Socket A way back and HATED it)

or just change the cooling on my Abit KN8-SLI to something more active, rather than the heatpipes cause they're upside down now.

I read threw some of the tutorials on here. So just before i run down and return my Abit Kn8 To try a DFI LP Expert SLI..

1. Are the bios really weak still ?

2. Does my system look like ill have any problems?

I forgot to add my 480 Watt Antec PSU in my sig.

3. From what i've read, you need to setup the Ram Timings yourself. I don't have a problem with this, does this mean there are no "Automatic" settings.

4. Anything different i should know being a Dual-Core user?

Thanks for all the support and help. I'm really kind-of iffy giving DFI another try again after my experiences in the past.

1. The BIOS is very extensive. To me that is a good thing since it allows for maximum adjustability.

2. Your CPU and GPU look a-okay. The RAM might be an unknown factor. Kingston has had problems according to the people in the know. I use my Kingston BH-5 with no problems at all, but if you have some other chiptype (mostly of the value type) you might have problems. Since they are DDR500 I will however guess that they have TCCD or something on them, which should be fine.

3. There are auto settings that will use the SPD settings from the RAM. However it is very recommended that you set the timings yourself.

The easiest way to start is to Load default settings at stock speed, then use a utility such as A64 Tweaker in windows to be able to see what value all timings (including the "AUTO" ones) have, write them down, and set those manually in the BIOS. After that it is just up to you to experiment for maximun performance.

4. I don't think so. There are the usual patches to apply in Windows and such, but nothing I know that is specific to the motherboard. I am not a DC user to someone else will have to fill you in on this.

I should just say that the Lanparty Ultra-D I have is incredible. The design is made so that it will start with almost any settings. that means that if you have entered some wrong timings or such, there is no need to clear CMOS and crawl on the floor, you can simply enter BIOS again sicne the board always seems to start. Getting it to boot with incorrect settings is hard of course, but it is a very smooth process of changing settings, unlike my old NF2 Abit board were the slightest wrong setting would result in beeping, and me wasting 10 minutes clearing CMOS every other time.

The Expert seems to have much more issues than the Ultra-D, so if I was to buy my board again, I still would choose the Ultra-D. Do you have any specific reason to go Expert?

Hope it helps. :)

1. The BIOS is very extensive. To me that is a good thing since it allows for maximum adjustability.

2. Your CPU and GPU look a-okay. The RAM might be an unknown factor. Kingston has had problems according to the people in the know. I use my Kingston BH-5 with no problems at all, but if you have some other chiptype (mostly of the value type) you might have problems. Since they are DDR500 I will however guess that they have TCCD or something on them, which should be fine.

3. There are auto settings that will use the SPD settings from the RAM. However it is very recommended that you set the timings yourself.

The easiest way to start is to Load default settings at stock speed, then use a utility such as A64 Tweaker in windows to be able to see what value all timings (including the "AUTO" ones) have, write them down, and set those manually in the BIOS. After that it is just up to you to experiment for maximun performance.

4. I don't think so. There are the usual patches to apply in Windows and such, but nothing I know that is specific to the motherboard. I am not a DC user to someone else will have to fill you in on this.

I should just say that the Lanparty Ultra-D I have is incredible. The design is made so that it will start with almost any settings. that means that if you have entered some wrong timings or such, there is no need to clear CMOS and crawl on the floor, you can simply enter BIOS again sicne the board always seems to start. Getting it to boot with incorrect settings is hard of course, but it is a very smooth process of changing settings, unlike my old NF2 Abit board were the slightest wrong setting would result in beeping, and me wasting 10 minutes clearing CMOS every other time.

The Expert seems to have much more issues than the Ultra-D, so if I was to buy my board again, I still would choose the Ultra-D. Do you have any specific reason to go Expert?

Hope it helps. :)

That was very imformative thanks.

My reason for going with the expert is because thats the only one a store around here carries, as far as im aware, and i don't wanna order online, cause if i dont like the board its a much longer process of returning, than instore. I'll go on the DFI website and see if i can find a store that has a wider choice.

What do you think of the LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Package(I assume this is the non-expert one) Cause that actually comes with some stuff i need, for around the same price as the expert...

Im guessing the expert has that noticable difference in the PCI-E Arrangement where theres extra space?

3 days late: :)

Well, If you have the chance to get it from a local store, I would go for that. If you have any problem whatsoever it will be tonnes easier to return it should you need to.

I would personally pick an non-Expert board, as long as there isn't a feature with the Expert-boards that you need or like alot.

Experts I think have more space around the PCI-E slots as you say, and they also don't have a 4v RAM voltage jumper on the board. And I don't think it has the SLI jumpers for changeing between x16-x2 and x8-x8 speeds for the PCI-E x16 slots. But if you are not going to run SLI, not gonne change alot between 3.2 and 4V RAM voltages you won't even notice those changes.

I would say just go with what fits the best. If you can get an Expert from a local retailer, do it. Should things f*** up badly due to incompatibility, return it and consider an SLI-DR for example. :)

You could also make sure to ask the local retailer about under what conditions you could return the board. It might not be broken, but it might have some incompatibility problems with what you have. Might not be fun to buy it, find out your RAM doesn't like the board or vice versa, and then be stuck with the board after all.

Or, just ask around for a retailer that can bring in a DFI board of your choice.

Either way, good luck. :)

Guest Synchronize

Go with a Sli-D/DR, absolute rock solid mobo. You can't go wrong. Or an Ultra-D if you not bothered about SLi.

Well i went to the local store and they only carried experts, which i found kind of stupid :( I called everyplace around here, and no luck...So i went ahead and with GREAT sceptisim

ordered this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136151

But guess what? :) Im on it right now, and its seems much better than the old SocketA ones i tired..

:D I've every happy right now, but i dont think im quite ready to try and crack up my dual core :)

Just wanted to let you know that I was a complete noob when I built my computer. Thanks to following the tutorials on this forum, everything booted up just fine on the very first try. Now overclocking at 270x10 duo prime stable. Good luck with your decision. You can't really go wrong with either board.