Arctic Silver Instructions

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Do any of you follow these instructions to the letter when applying AS5? I read them in preparation of installing my new Opteron tonight and thought they sound a little too conservative. I understand that putting too much AS5 on can actually act as an insulater, but the tiny amount they show on the IHS and the twisting of the heat sink makes me.....whince! Anyone else??

yeh i followed em. I mean the fact of the matter is, no matter how much of an expert we think we are, the people who made this stuff will still know better right? If it didn't matter how much AS5 to put on the IHS, don't you think Arctic would have instructions saying to put alot, so that they can sell more product?

Agreed. Use as little AS5 as possible. Nothing is better than block to chip (IHS) contact. The paste is only used to fill in the GAPS. Check AG's build tutorial and you'll get an idea of how much you should be using.

I to was a bit skeptical of their application instructions the first time I had to install a CPU with an IHS.

As a test, I applied the AS5 per their instructions with a freshly lapped Big Typhoon, and ran CPUBurn for a couple hours.

I then removed the HSF, and found a perfect circle of AS5 extending out to the edges of the IHS, and the paste was so thin it was nearly transparent.

I examined the IHS with a magnifying glass, and could find no evidence of air entrapment.

Bottom line is...follow their instructions.

You should see a difference, but keep in mind that there will be about 1 to 3 degrees over regular paste. Another factor will be the airflow through your case. If your CPU resides in a case where the air is "dead", you probably won't notice any difference.

Was using my XP90 included thermal grease and didnt notice nothing after using AS5, but it still dont have a day of applied...lets see what happens some days after...

I cleaned the XP90 thermal grease with acetone, then alcohol at 100%.

***imrahil, i almost everytime cover the CPU die directly with the AS5, with a thin layer of it. Then put the Heatsink.