I think I'm in over my head. First time build.

Ok... I'm lost

I have a 500W PS 20/24 pin 2 Sata ....

lights seem to come on when I turn on the power hoever no fans work.

I have the psu fan connected, the radeon X850XT doesn't come on either. I'm very lost. No fans are remotely moving. I have connected the 24 connecter the near 4 connector the other connector byt the dfi fan and the other littler one near the heatsink and the cpu fan is plugged in.

So why is nothing loading?

Regardless of whether or not it's the power supply or something not being plugged in i advise you to replace the power supply. I made the mistake of running a turbolink 420 watt in the setup in my sig. I was plagued with random reboots. Who'd a thought when i finally shelled out some money for a decent power supply they miraculously stopped. :D

I'm going to bank on the Aspire X PSU not giving enough to cold boot at all. The aspires have many links to which describe many o the same problems with DFI, Abit, Asus, etc., especially SLI boards.

Those PSUs worked fine for the lesser systems predating X2s and dual core opterons. I'll bank on a new 24-pin Enermax, Antec, Sunbeam NUOO, etc. clearing up many of your bugs.