Windows XP Home or Professional

JoshB

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/ho.../choosing2.mspx

Do you need to allow Remote Desktop access? IIS? Group policy? RIS? If not, save yourself some $ and get Home. And neither installation is more difficult than the other.

All of this information previously discussed here (among others):

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35408

I don't buy windows, nevertheless the copies I run (WinXP SP2 & Windows Pro x64) are 100% legal: I am an engineering student at a university which has agreement with MSDN Academic Alliance which provides free software for students....

There R only 2 real differences between Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional:

1) There R advanced networking features on XP Professional. If U have 2 or more computers N your household and U want 2 put them all on a network so that U can share files and a printer between them, then get XP Professional. If U need 2 connect 2 your computer remotely, or U want 2 connect 2 another computer remotely, then get XP Professional.

2) Cost. Windows XP Professional is more expensive ($200.00 retail). U might B able 2 find it cheaper online.

Common ground:

1) It's real easy 2 do a clean install on either 1 of these operating systems.

2) Since Service Pack 1, stability has increased on both operating systems. Service Pack 2 adds more internet security features and a firewall.

3) They both can play games well.

4) They both take up a lot of system memory 2 run smoothly. But Professional will take up even more memory when U use networking features.

2 answer your question, it's just a matter of what features U do or don't want and your budget. Take N2 consideration about future upgrades (U don't have a network now, but U might want 2 build 1 later). If money is no object, thinking ahead 4 the future, I recommend Windows XP Professional. I hope this helps. :)

Hey Guys

I am building a system around the Expert board. It will be used for a home business and run a few games like Quake 3 , Quake 4 and Doom etc.. It will be running a single core processor AMD Athlon 64 4000+ , and two hard drives in non-raid or regular configuration. I plan to have a single MSI 7800 GTX video card and put another MSI 7800 GTX video card in the system in SLI configuration at a later date. Should I use Windows XP Home Edition or Professional Edition? Thanks

@Redsky:

Be careful what you post about "not buying software". DFI has a zero-tolerance policy towards anything even remotely piracy-related, so mentioning that you don't pay for your software could garner you a nice long vacation from the DFI boards.

@Redsky:

Be careful what you post about "not buying software". DFI has a zero-tolerance policy towards anything even remotely piracy-related, so mentioning that you don't pay for your software could garner you a nice long vacation from the DFI boards.

oh lol, i didnt mean it that way, I dont buy software, my parents do :) .

or my friend that works for MS installs the administrator version on it.

sorry for the confusion, i am very legal, thats why i have spent the last 4 hours looking for my XP home cd key that i lost :(

Hey Guys

I am building a system around the Expert board. It will be used for a home business and run a few games like Quake 3 , Quake 4 and Doom etc.. It will be running a single core processor AMD Athlon 64 4000+ , and two hard drives in non-raid or regular configuration. I plan to have a single MSI 7800 GTX video card and put another MSI 7800 GTX video card in the system in SLI configuration at a later date. Should I use Windows XP Home Edition or Professional Edition? Thanks

I have used both Home and Pro. I am currently using Pro. I wouldn't go back to Home, though there isn't a great deal of difference. I feel it may a bit more secure due to the main use is for business.

I purchased mine through a friend who worked for MS, also. It was $35 for the full version.

Guest Milkshake
There R only 2 real differences between Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional:

1) There R advanced networking features on XP Professional. If U have 2 or more computers N your household and U want 2 put them all on a network so that U can share files and a printer between them, then get XP Professional. If U need 2 connect 2 your computer remotely, or U want 2 connect 2 another computer remotely, then get XP Professional.

Not true. You can have way more than 2 computers on a network and share files and printers perfectly fine with home. Home and pro have the same performance, I use them both and they look exactly the same to me, except different login colors. You wont really get any special security features in pro that you will want to use.

oh lol, i didnt mean it that way, I dont buy software, my parents do :) .

or my friend that works for MS installs the administrator version on it.

sorry for the confusion, i am very legal, thats why i have spent the last 4 hours looking for my XP home cd key that i lost :(

just use belarc, do a google search, it scans your computer and tells you your cd key... of course if you are re-installing, then i cant help you :)

Guest Lavell

This may B true 2day, but I can tell U on the 1st release of XP Home and XP Professional, XP Home did not allow U 2 share files between 2 or more computers. This may have changed since Service Pack 1. I was using XP Home on the 1st release, but switched 2 XP Professional shortly after the release of Service Pack 1.

Not true. You can have way more than 2 computers on a network and share files and printers perfectly fine with home. Home and pro have the same performance, I use them both and they look exactly the same to me, except different login colors. You wont really get any special security features in pro that you will want to use.

Guest Milkshake
This may B true 2day, but I can tell U on the 1st release of XP Home and XP Professional, XP Home did not allow U 2 share files between 2 or more computers. This may have changed since Service Pack 1. I was using XP Home on the 1st release, but switched 2 XP Professional shortly after the release of Service Pack 1.

Really? Cause I have been using the sp1 release home cd for a while (just recently upped it to sp2) and haven't had any problems with it before. Right when home came out my whole fam bought it, we have 7 comps, and we used it on each computer on the network, we could see every other comp. Thats weird, do you have any articles on it?

Guest Lavell

No, I don't have any articles on this topic. This was based on my experience with XP Home Edition.

Really? Cause I have been using the sp1 release home cd for a while (just recently upped it to sp2) and haven't had any problems with it before. Right when home came out my whole fam bought it, we have 7 comps, and we used it on each computer on the network, we could see every other comp. Thats weird, do you have any articles on it?