Routers

Sly_C

I was wondering i am going to get DSL pretty soon and was curious to how much routers were and what to look for in one when i buy one? Also, if I use a router wil it slow the connection and do u think the company will charge me more?

Routers are not that expensive and usually run around +/-$50 online depending on brand, features, etc. Pretty much all u need in a router is a built in firewall that is NAT based(most firewalls already have this built in). If you have 4 or less computers at home you'll be fine with a 4-port router but if you have more pc's a 8-port router will cost more.

Oh yeah the router will NOT slow your connection down unless you have multiple pc's connected to the router and they are all DL'ing large files at the same time. Your DSL ISP wont charge you extra money because you are only being assigned one static IP address. Basically your router can take the single static IP address assigned by your ISP and have up to 253 computers sharing net access of that one static IP address.

Once you do get your rounter make sure to have a back-up software based firewall like ZoneAlarm (no matter how much protecting you have the net is a VERY unsafe place). Also, you can test your computers/routers security by going to www.grc.com and use their "shields up" test to probe your most common ports to see if you have and security leaks.

I happen to be a fan of linksys routers. I've heard they have some of the best firewall protection. If you are only linking 2 computers to the internet, you may be able to use the Internet Sharing in most of Microsofts recent OS's instead of buying a router

how would u do that? and is there anything wrong with the router i found cause i just love the price. I plan on using zonealarm as well anyway.

Edited by Sly_C

all throw my 2 sence in on this one ill find the router later if your interested but ive got this smc router and i also just got dsl a month ago and i had zonealarm but man with the router ive got you dont even need zonealarm man ive got 1 computer that hasent even been updated for the viruses and i havent even got that blaster virus but man the smc barricade is a sweet router and its prob like 50 or 60 bucks if your interested ill find it for you

it didnt add very much room for expansion if your just going to run 2 pcs then its fine but if your just running 1 pc why even get a router i mean if you expand your setup youve got to buy a new router but if your not expanding then its fine

yeah i'm not expecting to expand any i just had to finally get a new computer from this peice off crap i am on right now but i am still at home and my sis wants this computer so i need a router but if i have the NAT based firewall and the Zonealarm do u think i will have any problems?

Basically your router can take the single static IP address assigned by your ISP and have up to 253 computers sharing net access of that one static IP address.

The router will also hook up to a dynamic IP as well since not every ISP gives out static IPs. I would not reccoment using the Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing mainly because then one computer must stay on while the other surfs the net or whatever. If you are looking for something cheap and simple do the router you were planning on. Also another cheaper solution would be to build a Linux router. They have prebuilt packages in .iso format and all you do is burn it to a cd. The cd is then bootable. It will then turn an old PC with 2 NICS in it into a router. Something old like a P100 would work. As long as it has 2 NICS in it. But this can be a little bit harder to setup if you don't have previous knowledge of Linux. Yes the installer does most of it for you, but it still can be a tiny bit confusing at times. Anyway GL.

thanx i think i will just go with that router and install zonealarm now for my next question? my ISP told me to get the DSL i have to have an ethernet card. The motherboard i got has onboard LAN. Will the DSL use my LAN port?