My new system

Impressive Memory.

I'm Jealous.

nah, some people just get better memory or mobos or whatever, luck even. no need to be jealous.

when i was researching and reading forums to choose my system ram, i read an article that showed Patriot and Corsair using the same drams and Mushkin out performaned both but i was too late to get my hands on the 2x512 XP4000 Redlines that i wanted so badly. so what i did was bought Mushkin XP3200 b/c i read in their foums that most the XP3200's used the same drams as the XP4000 but not all made the grade for the XP4000. so i bought that kit and then i saw many reviews of G.Skill's F1's that everyone loved since they overclocked so high but they were DDR550 2.5-4-4-8-2T and also out of stock. but i noticed the LA's that did both DDR400 2-2-2-5-1T and DDR600 2.5-4-4-8-2T, so i bought them as i was unsure if i was going to run them at a high and loose or low and tight mem bus. Well, i ran both kits in my nf2 DFI and the LA's did 2-2-2-8-2T at 250mhz and the XP3200's could only do 2.5-3-2-8-2T so i sent them back presuming they were TCC5's and the G.Skill LA's were TCCD like they claim. so i paid a bit on the restocking fee, but look at the ram i got.

i always put this much attention into the parts i buy. i feel like i'm making a mistake if i don't go thru all that. i've been pretty luck with my researched choices over the years, many OC's go past the 1GHz mark, and my last two OC's are 600+mhz. so i feel i'm doing something right.

Oh, BTW, i had to drop my timings to DDR500 2-3-3-5-1T even tho i ran Far Cry for 3 hours at 2-3-2-5-1T... but i still get the same SuperPI and Everest Lats/Bandwidth at running 230mhz 2-2-2-5-1T ...i was able to adjust the other timings to keep them at the same performance level. and in SciencMark 2.0 i've even decreased some Lats in the L1, L2, and specially system ram.

you know the wierdest things is tho, i can only run 1:1 with the mem in DIMM slots 1&2, no dividers will work. but, when i place them in 1&3 all the dividers work. BUT, in neither case my ram completly refuses to run CL2.5 period. wierd.

TGM

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey GM...me again

I decided to put 3v to these 4800 patriots and am now getting 225@2-2-2-6 memtest stable.

Memory is my weak spot at the moment so I am still tryin to figure out the best timings with the DFI 250 and all the options.

Have yet to test any further at the moment but the extra volts have really helped.

Hope I don't burn em up.

I always read don't give tccd extra volts but recently read that the new tccd likes a little extra.

My zalman 9500 pulls air across them and I may add a fan.

They are warm running memtest but the bh5 I had got much hotter.

They are rated at 2.9v when running 300

Hey GM...me again

I decided to put 3v to these 4800 patriots and am now getting 225@2-2-2-6 memtest stable.

Memory is my weak spot at the moment so I am still tryin to figure out the best timings with the DFI 250 and all the options.

Have yet to test any further at the moment but the extra volts have really helped.

Hope I don't burn em up.

I always read don't give tccd extra volts but recently read that the new tccd likes a little extra.

My zalman 9500 pulls air across them and I may add a fan.

They are warm running memtest but the bh5 I had got much hotter.

They are rated at 2.9v when running 300

gadugger,

thats great 225. yah, i've read about TCCD not liking voltage, but mine loves it. i've also read where 2.5 runs fine and will get you high frquencies, but mine won't even post unless i set it to 2.0... also i would definitely fan cool your ram with 3.0 volts. i'm running 3.1volts and have a low flow 80mm on them and even under S&M's 100% Load mem test they barely get warm, when i to had my BH5 get pretty warm.

if i could give my TCCD's 3.2v i would since i thin that would allow my to run 2-2-2-5-1T at DDR500. but with the performance i'm getting now, i can't complain one bit. once i get my water back in action i'll be pushing for 3255mhz 10.5xht310 / 166 DDR500 mem or 10.5xht315 / 166 DDR510 mem. i'd like to get that OCZ Booster but it wouldn't fit in between my two stick in the DIMM 2 slot. so i'm thinking of ditching the eye candy mem heatspreaders and get some real dram heatsink and having a fan blowing on them. just some thoughts on my next steps.

if i could run both stick in 1&2 i was thinking of getting the Koolance ram cooler and seeing what that does since i'll be on water already, but when i run 1&2 i can't use dividers at all, again it won't even post. i'm using the 623 bios. it was diferent with the 504 bios tho, i could run 1&2 slots and use the dividers, but i'm still testing with the defualt bios that came with the mobo till i get my water back on and have offically figured everything out to my satifaction with the water. then i may try the 504 bios and if it works nicely i may try the Koolance ram cooler and do a volt mod.

till then i'm happy running 3000 (10.5xht300 / 166 DDR500 2-3-3-5-10-14-1T) that gives me the best superPI scores and i can loop 3D01 all night long. S&M doesn't like the 1T but all my daily apps and game are fine with it.

TGM

I tried to do the 415 tictac bios from the tmod cd and apparently its not compatible with mobiles. I think I was supposed to check first :). Would not boot.

Luckily I got another board with a 2.4 newcastle and was able to swap out the bios.

When I had the bh5 memory I was able to use the ocz booster in slot 1 with the memory in 2+3.

I was able to hit 230 with 1 stick and 220 with 2 sticks both at 2-2-2-5 If I remember correctly. But now that I look back it was probably error on my part with all the other timings not getting both to run at 230.

But yes it will work in slot 1.

Have not tried these sticks in 2+3 and I am scared to put the booster on them.

They are in 1+3 at the moment. did not like 1+2.

Impressive Memory.

I'm Jealous.

i wouldnt be ..as ive posted before ..Ocing your ram or running tight timings do very little to nothing on Athlon64's ( in the real world )

have a read

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...t=memory+timing

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/31/tig...ck_frequencies/

http://techreport.com/etc/2005q4/mem-latency/index.x?pg=1

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2548&p=1

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticl...313&articID=325

When I had the bh5 memory I was able to use the ocz booster in slot 1 with the memory in 2+3.

I was able to hit 230 with 1 stick and 220 with 2 sticks both at 2-2-2-5 If I remember correctly. But now that I look back it was probably error on my part with all the other timings not getting both to run at 230.

But yes it will work in slot 1.

Have not tried these sticks in 2+3 and I am scared to put the booster on them.

They are in 1+3 at the moment. did not like 1+2.

yah, i've never heard of the 415 tictac bios for the nf3 754, i have the CD Bios, maybe there's a new one CD out. luckily you have two nf3 mobos. i bought two myself this time b/c DFI has discontinued the mobo and it took me two weeks of searching stores on the net to finally find a store that had some. they had 4 in stock so i bought two.

yah, i tried placing my sticks in 2&3 and it's wouldn't even post using the 623 official. with 1&2 i must run 1:1 and my best is 235mhz 2-2-2-5-1T and with using slots 1&3 i seem to have what the system likes best, my best is ht300mhz with DDR500 2-3-3-5-1T which gets me the same scores as 235mhz but the extra bandwidth with the same latency scores and superPI seem to give a it bit more of a kick.

i'm not going to even try using the OCZ Booster since it won't fit with 2 sticks. but i am really thinking about removing my so called heatspreaders as none of the drams touch it anyways, heh. and using slots 1&3 give me room for the heatsinks that i'd place on the drams themselves. i was thinking of how i could rig a 60mm fan to blow downwards from the top along the sticks with maybe some type of shroud, but i dunno seem like a lot of trouble. maybe just the fan pointing down from the top blowing along the heatsinks on the dram will be enough. i do have the crossflow fan in my CMStacker case also. but thats a future mod. i need to setup my water cooling first. then i might decide to try out the 504 bios so i can run dividers on slot 1&2 and use the water cooler from Koolance on them. i dunno.

i think the Booster with the TCCD might be a bad idea, unless you just want to try 3.2v with a good fan on the ram. but i dunno. i don't thik i'd use a volt mod or the booster without water cooling the ram first.

my case is a mess as i'm waiting for my pump parts to come in from RMA so i can do water cooling again, but here's how i have my cooling setup right now. the long black thing on the right is, of course, the crossflow fan.

NF3-fanage.jpg

TGM

Looks like it will be pretty awesome when done up, just a quick Q, how exactly are you mounting that 80/92mm on your ram, it looks like it is just hanging there and held in place by your ATX power.

Naut

Yes I already know all this but I was just having fun overclocking these 4800 patriots.

I have read angrys posts many times.

I plan on putting them in my abit nf7 with mobile 2600 as soon as I get it back from my son. Where it will make a diff.

But Thx for your concern.

That socket a will outrun a lot of the 64's but I didn't know that till I started fooling with the 64's.

Still learnin.

Looks like it will be pretty awesome when done up, just a quick Q, how exactly are you mounting that 80/92mm on your ram, it looks like it is just hanging there and held in place by your ATX power.

Naut

lmao.... you got it :nod: ...thats why when i get my waterblock back on there i won't be able to wedge the 80x38mm fan between the heatsink and the ATX cable. it's all going to be cleaned up and organised like i always do.

so i'm trying to figure out a plan on how to rig something up.

hey, have you ever seen those long screw/studs that are mounted to the mobo to case mounts? i'd love to use my two silent 50mm fans mounted to a peice of uv blue plexi above my ram with those long screw/studs holding the plexi up.

TGM

Originally Posted by PÿRÓ

i wouldnt be ..as ive posted before ..Ocing your ram or running tight timings do very little to nothing on Athlon64's ( in the real world )

have a read

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/sho...t=memory+timing

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03...ck_frequencies/

http://techreport.com/etc/2005q4/me...cy/index.x?pg=1

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipset...aspx?i=2548&p=1

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=ge...313&articID=325

Yes I already know all this but I was just having fun overclocking these 4800 patriots.

I have read angrys posts many times.

I plan on putting them in my abit nf7 with mobile 2600 as soon as I get it back from my son. Where it will make a diff.

But Thx for your concern.

That socket a will outrun a lot of the 64's but I didn't know that till I started fooling with the 64's.

Still learnin.

i'm sorry but i've heard this too many times. it's like people just wanna shove this down peoples throat. it does make a difference when number crunching is concerned, like: transcoding a DivX to Mpeg1 for TV viewing or encoding cd after cd from wav to mp3 right off the CD or encoding a game to ISO. you can even see it in SuperPI scores, which benches how fast your computer can crunch numbers. i even see a difference in 3DMark scores, granted not enough to call home about, lol

i've read Anandtechs review and it's true, in large streaming apps it hardly makes any difference, but when memory dependent apps or programs that rely on cpu cycles, or the lesser of them to retrive the data (which is what tightening timings do), it does make a difference.

i already gave the example that if the memory controller is requiring data off the system ram.

so take 1000 cycles as an example to transcode a DivX to Mpeg1. if we take off 4% of those cycles thats 960 cpu cycles. lets say each cpu cycle for trancoding takes 30seconds, that would be 12 minutes less time for transcoding the file. and thats only 4% difference in latency or cpu cycles.
and 4% difference in gaming makes little to no difference in framerates, but it makes a difference if you're not only using your system for gaming.

TGM

lmao.... you got it :nod: ...thats why when i get my waterblock back on there i won't be able to wedge the 80x38mm fan between the heatsink and the ATX cable. it's all going to be cleaned up and organised like i always do.

so i'm trying to figure out a plan on how to rig something up.

hey, have you ever seen those long screw/studs that are mounted to the mobo to case mounts? i'd love to use my two silent 50mm fans mounted to a peice of uv blue plexi above my ram with those long screw/studs holding the plexi up.

TGM

Might take a look at this. What I did was take a piece of plexie Glass and cut to size for 3 40mm fans then I took Board standoffs and put them together to make a post and used them on the board screewdown holes by the memory slots. Since I cant hear much. I use my cpu cooler fan plunged strait to PSU and I used the cpu board fan plug for my memory cooler It would work grate for you. This is a pic before I got my BT heres a pic that a look

http://img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10027796fu.jpg