AGP not enough card? Think again

6800GT's have 16 Pipelines they are basicly downclocked 6800Ultra's asside from the few extra power attachments on the ultra. 6800NU'S are 12 Pipes.

Iv played some of the HDR games like Farcry tweaking its HDR around. HL2 has a some HDR lighting and few others. It looks really good. Ill post some screenies from Farcry with side by side comparision's that made all ATI owners Jeleous back then lol.

Edit: Some pics

size.jpg

please read the forum rules before posting!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TGM, I am not sure why you are so focused on DX10 games when DX10 itself is not even released, and it takes up to 1 year or more to have games written in full compliance with the new DirectX versions...which leads to a more realistic 2 years or so (look at DX8...it took almost 2 years for ALL games to REQUIRE DX8 capable or emulatable cards...same with DX9, and as I have explained before, all the games will have to be backwards compatible via emulation or 'crippled' dx routines because only 5% to 10% of gamers will actually have a new card that is capable of the latest and greatest SM and DX routines...as I just explained...we tend to forget that we are in the top echelon of users but 75% or more of the total number of gamers simply do not have the latest and greatest hardware)
well, i keep trying to relate why i'm concerned. and i'm talking about DX10 compatibility only. when winVista comes out there will be native DX10 support, but also for the DX9 there's another standard DX9.0L which mean it'll be compatible with DX10 even tho it doen't support all the features. and this 7800GS seems to be the pinical of AGP cards.

firstly, this new build i'm doing is going to take me through 2~2.5 years

secondly, the vid cards with SM3.0 are already showing up in game play, like HL2 and Far Cry and some other new games. on top of that HDR is going to be really nice for cinematic looking gaming.

i want to buy the best card for the best future proofing i can do. i don't care to run video games where my friends get to see the eye candy that i want to see; and i can't see it simply b/c i don't have SM3.0. my style of game play is prolly differentthan yours, so you got to count SM3.0 and HDR as big deals for me, even if they're not for you.

on top of which i can sell my R420 x800xtpe that doesn't even keep up with a x850xt and barely hold it's own with the 6800Ultra. and then when you place these cards in games that currently support SM3.0 and HDR my card disappears the 6800Ultra is very low and the 7800GS is at least playable with HDR and 16AF at 1024 so i get to see all the new eye candy. for instance SM3.0 allows charaters skin to sweat! i want to be able to see that.

TGM

Im just like you lol, when i buy a game or play games it mainly because they have good gfx that i like to see. When i play a game i always stop sometimes and look around :cool:

I did go back up

yes, and i'm not always into the frenzy of FPS or racer games. i like adventure games like Alice, POP, ... oh there's more i play, i just can't think of them right now. DOH!

TGM

I reposted my Pic's almost all witha side by side comparison. Go back to page 5. Take note tho HL2's HDR is only partial. Farcry's HDR is amazing yes but sometimes in bright area's it can get to bright cuss Farcry's HDR isnt really reformed like HL2's is.

A bright picture right here can show u what happens alot in Farcry with HDR enabled.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Can...arCrySplit2.jpg

I reposted my Pic's almost all witha side by side comparison. Go back to page 5. Take note tho HL2's HDR is only partial. Farcry's HDR is amazing yes but sometimes in bright area's it can get to bright cuss Farcry's HDR isnt really reformed like HL2's is.

A bright picture right here can show u what happens alot in Farcry with HDR enabled.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Can...arCrySplit2.jpg

are you running the 1.32 patch?

Yea If i remember this is 1.32 which was the patch to let people with HDR turn it on.

w0w! now this is what i'm talking bout baybee!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Can.../FarCry0031.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Can...ry0059Split.jpg

my x800xtpe, no matter if it is fast enough for far cry will never show it like this.

TGM

Yea it looks good, like 2 nite you can really see the Moonlite reflecting off the water. I was amazed Myself but the HDR in farcry again is kinda messed up if you look directly @ the sun itll get so bright you can see like in the one picture above. Sometimes if you look directly @ a wall itll get really bright.

I'll take more pics lemme pop my disk in and take some more good and bad shots.

Youre x800 will look like the right side of my Pics, Kinda dark and dull

Candymancan,

gotta love that 7800GS with it's eVGA CO Superclock.... 460/1350

the ram will go sky high but the gpu needs some water, which i have now.

think 525~550 and 1400~1500 clocks

i'm just going to finish up this build i'm in the middle of and then once i get used to it and learn all the tweaks, i'll sell my x800xtpe mod card and grab me this 7800GS for like 100bux :nod:

TGM