X1900XTX CPU bottle neck

Hello everyone,

I'm unable to gain high score in 3dmark05 with X1900XTX (9500 max everything at default), kind of annoyed.

Could someone give me a pointer on how to resolve this?

Many thanks

whose to say 9500 isnt what ur supposed to get with ur current rig and specs??

all the 11-13k runs i've seen have been w/ cpus in the 2.8+ghz range, many of which were dual core and most those people had overclocked their gpus as well...

but there could be something else holding you back i guess....could be ur value ram...

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually a bit puzzled with the result, some hardware site posted 11k+ with san dieago 3700+ and everything in stock. I guess my value ram could be the issue but I'm not sure whether it could result a 1.5 k drop.

Another thing is that I noticed my 12V rail is running low (11.5V) according to SmartGuardian. How accurate is the reading from Smartguardian?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually a bit puzzled with the result, some hardware site posted 11k+ with san dieago 3700+ and everything in stock. I guess my value ram could be the issue but I'm not sure whether it could result a 1.5 k drop.

Another thing is that I noticed my 12V rail is running low (11.5V) according to SmartGuardian. How accurate is the reading from Smartguardian?

Is your corsair ram running 1:1? some corsair value 2 x 1gb comes with uccc chip which allow 260-280mhz at 3-4-4-8

My X1800XT PE running at 10k on 3dmark05. SOmehow similiar config.

Hello Rithina,

Yeah it is running at 1:1 and I have change tref to 2064.

I'm suspecting either the PSU is not delivering enough juice to the system or the CPU is limiting the performance. It's a real shame that X1900xtx is not running at its potential.

Guest Dynamic

If you PSU is not giving enough juice to your GFX CARD, your card will slow the frequencies down for safety reasons. Yeah, when i first look at your post i noticed your sig with that PSU which is not efficient enough for your hardware that you have installed. I would invest in a higher performance PSU. Also check your CORE/MEMORY clocks on your X1900XTX to see if i'm right or not? Also which drivers are you running for your motherboard and video card? Yeah you should be getting around 11k in 3dmark05 for sure, that score is alittle low....

Dynamic, thanks for the advice.

I'm going to get a Enermax 500W liberty (very fond of modular power supply) and hopefully the low 12V rail issue can then be resolved.

The chipset driver that I used is from ATI website (I installed the driver without choosing graphics component) then I used the driver that came with the CD for graphics card.

Hopefully I can get a new PSU by tomorrow or this weekend.

The core clock does switch to 650/1550 when entering 3D mode, I did a 100x loop with 3dmark05 @ 1280x1024 @ AA=4,AF=8 (installed Zalman VF700CU and wanted to break in the arctic silver 5) and I got a score of 7982.

Guest Dynamic

I just want to know why you chose that PSU that you have posted above? Also what difference in temps are you getting from the Zalman VF700 compared to the original X1900XTX factory cooler? Why don't you shoot for an OCZ Powerstream? Money problems? How much amps does it have on the 500w Liberty? I hope it works out for you dude....

The modstream 450W was a left over from my previous rig.

I'm choosing Enermax because it's manufactured in Taiwan (the best country in the world!)

And yes, I'm currently poor and hungry but I have a shinny x1900xtx running in front of me! and I'm happy!

The amp rating of Liberty is up to par and I also hope it would resolve my current problem

oh, with VF700, my idle temperature is 41C and after the 100x 3dmark05 loop, the ATI Tool log shows the highest temperature was 75C

Additional info: I have one 120mm on top of the card running @ 1400 rpm (vertical air flow) and another 80mm @ 800 rpm blowing the air across (horizontal) and another 80mm @ 800rpm suck the air out, still much quieter than the original ATI fan