DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

While talking about anti-virus applications: Avast has a Linux version. It won't fall into the open-source category like ClamAV, but it could be an alternative for folks with a mixed Linux and Windows environment. The only dependency Avast has is gtk2. I'll test it soon and give some feedback.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to load PCLinux2007 to the Tforce 550 3G's rig and it hangs at the nvidia Lan config tab (after selecting ethernet) loads slow...

Installed Ububtu 7.10 and it works half-assed on that rig also...loaded slow from the live CD also...I think this rigs got issues with sata ports or something...going to retry all this on the Epox rig....

I just couldnt get Compiz-Fusion to work right at all...

EDIT....Tonights kinda a wash....So far I havent been able to get PC Linux OS to install on either of the AM2 rigs...the Tforce will hang in configuring the lan port and the Epox wont boot the CD at all....nothing...

I just slaved a drive in and tried to load it...so much for fun with that...

I did get Ubuntu 7.10 loaded to the Tforce but everything about the set up was slow...just booting the live CD seemed slower than on the mATX-754 test board I am using which is a 2800 single core...

not sure whats up with that but....?

So...I headed back the test rig set-up I have with PCLinuxOS loaded and guess what...I get the cursor in the upper left corner of a black screen prompting me for my log in and password...screen all black but that text...arggh....

going to reload it now...man sucks...done a lot of reading on this tonight and figuring out the keys to use...I am going to fish for some advil and some BL

Guest culinist

Tested out openSUSE last night and I gotta sayt that so far out of the "easy", "out of the box", distros this had been the easiest and most polished. Had 3d + compiz-fusion, file sharing to wondows and linux boxes, multimedia codecs all up and running in about 45 minutes after initial install.

We all know that SUSE has been around for a long time but i think some people tend to overlook it for ubuntu. I found it to be every bit as easy if not easier than ubuntu. I only had to use the command line twice. Of course I tried to 'not' use it just to see if it could be done as easy.

Worth a try for those looking to replace windows, it even has a "My Computer" icon, lol.

I installed Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit on my new "spare" system (which is most of the parts in my sig). I had a slight problem with ACPI, as it kept causing the install to fail...hell, even the Live CD would not boot up properly. Add that to a DVD-R that has finally expired and it gave me some fits. I had to diabled ACPI in the BIOS, so if you are installing Ubuntu on a system with a DFI motherboard and you get a ACPI error, disable it right away.

But it is up and running, in fact i am using it now as the new system is in parts while I nibble the case away. Nibbler. Oh my hands hurt.

Oh, and Dr Bowtie, yeah the Live CD booted up slow for me when I finally fixed the ACPI problem.

While talking about anti-virus applications: Avast has a Linux version. It won't fall into the open-source category like ClamAV, but it could be an alternative for folks with a mixed Linux and Windows environment. The only dependency Avast has is gtk2. I'll test it soon and give some feedback.

There is also a *nix version of AVG

• 2 weeks later...

im trying to get lm-sensors to detect other values other then the cpu, i know theyre there because when i use everest in windows it would give me all sorts of information but lm-sensors only gives me the temps f cores 0 and 1. anyone know how to fix this? :confused:

im trying to get lm-sensors to detect other values other then the cpu, i know theyre there because when i use everest in windows it would give me all sorts of information but lm-sensors only gives me the temps f cores 0 and 1. anyone know how to fix this? :confused:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2...ight=lm-sensors

yea it seemed all i needed was a reboot, i just cant figure out what some of my sensors are for example i have no idea what "temp 3" is :lol:

Please post your output from 'sensors'. I'd post that here for others to see, and if you're having trouble with it, in that forum post at Ubuntu. There is plenty of help and examples on the web on how to 'not' report temps/fans etc that are not valid. I remember that I did have to tune up the formula's to get something approximate to what mbm/bios was reporting. You usually have 3 temps, MB/Sys, CPU, and NB chipset. I'm not running it right now so I can't be for sure. Keep googling and if you find something out that you think is good info, post it here. Thanks.

i already made a thread over there :D heres my output:

bran@ra:~$ sensors -f

k8temp-pci-00c3

Adapter: PCI adapter

Core0 Temp:

+79°F

Core1 Temp:

+93°F

it8712-isa-0290

Adapter: ISA adapter

VCore 1:   +1.31 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)

VCore 2:   +1.18 V  (min =  +1.28 V, max =  +1.68 V)   ALARM

+3.3V:	 +3.33 V  (min =  +2.78 V, max =  +3.78 V)

+5V:	   +5.05 V  (min =  +4.49 V, max =  +5.48 V)

+12V:	 +12.03 V  (min =  +9.98 V, max = +13.95 V)

-12V:	 -15.95 V  (min = -22.94 V, max = -17.05 V)   ALARM

-5V:	   -2.21 V  (min =  -9.14 V, max =  -7.75 V)   ALARM

Stdby:	 +5.08 V  (min =  +4.49 V, max =  +5.48 V)

VBat:	  +3.09 V

fan1:	 2311 RPM  (min =  811 RPM, div = 8)

fan2:	  937 RPM  (min =  811 RPM, div = 8)

fan3:	 3590 RPM  (min =  811 RPM, div = 8)

M/B Temp:	+84°F  (low  =  +261°F, high =  +163°F)   sensor = diode

CPU Temp:   +100°F  (low  =  +261°F, high =  +163°F)   sensor = thermistor

Temp3:	  +111°F  (low  =  +261°F, high =  +163°F)   sensor = thermistor

i didnt think of it but temp3 is probably the northbridge, i know fan1 is the cpu fan, im guessing fan2 is the psu fan (the sensor/plug on my motherboard that is connected to the pins labeled "fan2" are coming from the psu leads), and im guessing fan 3 is the northbridge fan. i was a little concerned at first since my -5v and -12v readings were way off but on the lm-sensors FAQ i read that this was common, although my vcore2 is .1 below the min it should be ill have to check that out later

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...