DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys I am dual booting XP and Ubuntu 7.04 but screwed up Ubuntu badly and want it off my system because i simply wont have time to mess around with it soon due to leaving for college. What is the best way to remove it and deal with GRUB?

According to other sites, you boot off your XP cd, go to the recovery console and type: 'fixmbr' command, which makes you boot normally. You then use the regular Xp tools to re-format and recover your hd space. You'll probably end up with an extra partition that you can use for storage and backups, unless you use some partition managers to 'extend' your xp partition to the full size of the disk.

Direct copy: http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic55407.html

eh, just restore the MBR for windows.

boot to the windows xp install cd, at the first menu press r to get into the recovery console & choose youre install of windows (it'll probably be the only option). then execute the following commands:

fixmbr

(you'll be prompted if you're sure, enter y)

fixboot

(again, you'll be prompted & press y)

now reboot and you should be able to boot into windows w/o a problem.

once in windows, right click on my computer > manager. in the tree menu on the left click on disk management and continue to delete the ubuntu partitions.

Now about the 'fixboot', I've never used that, do some more homework prior to using that command.

I had followed some thread on neowin forums i found via google which was fruitless. Your approach at first gave me a GRUB error 22 which wasnt a big problem after i disconnected all other drives in my PC and just left the 80 gig hitachi in there. Did fixmbr and fixboot (which ive used before and am quite familar with) again and viola! it works! Looks like im gonna have to format that 40 gig or so partition that ubuntu used to occupy.

Thanks a bunch man!

I had followed some thread on neowin forums i found via google which was fruitless. Your approach at first gave me a GRUB error 22 which wasnt a big problem after i disconnected all other drives in my PC and just left the 80 gig hitachi in there. Did fixmbr and fixboot (which ive used before and am quite familar with) again and viola! it works! Looks like im gonna have to format that 40 gig or so partition that ubuntu used to occupy.

Thanks a bunch man!

Hopefully you'll take some computer science classes and have to load up linux again!!!

Linux does have everything you need to get your degree! Open Office, databases, spreadsheets, graphs, audacity for audio, gimp for graphics, etc.

Good luck at school!!!

Running Ubuntu 7.04 desktop now (not on this machine) and I'm loving it! Thinking about switching permanently, but I'll still have to keep XP for gaming of course... and for the misses, she'd probably kill me if she had to learn how to use the computer again... lol

• 1 month later...
Guest culinist

Just started playing around with Sabayon. It's a Gentoo, cheater distro. Real nice so far, comes with direct rendering and all the beryl eye candy out of the box. They have done nice job setting it up, and of course you get portage to manage your packages.

Worth a look for anyone who likes the idea of Gentoo, but dosen't want to compile the whole dealio'. Heck worth a look anyway. It's not gonna take me away from ArchLinux, but I'm impressed so far.

Sabayon is a nice take on Gentoo, I have used it on a few rigs just to have all the eye candy without all the typing.

I have been playing with ZenWalk on my secondary rig. It is a nice light distro that uses xfce for the desktop. It doesn't come packaged with a bunch of apps that do the same job, one job, one app is how they put it together. It is Slack based and has a decent package management system. The Wiki is good enough to get even newbies through the installation of nvidia/ati drivers and setting up the rest of the software after installation. it uses VI as the default editor which is a hassle for most people but you can install any you like.

• 3 weeks later...