Help about hard drives please!

hi everyone, well i have a regular ide hard drive7200rpm 8mb cache, and im wanting to upgrade to a sata hard drive 16mb cache so my games wont take so long to load, i need suggestions on which is good fast and cheap and has capacity of at least 160gb or more. And also is it possible to transfer all files from my hard drive to the sata hard drive or do i have to reinstall windows on the sata one? a step by step pictures of what to do would help, and appreciate it very much for all comments

3800+ newcastle

ocz 600w psu

1gb 3200 ddr

radeon x1800xt 512mb

lanparty ut ultra-d mobo

hpdvd600i dual layer drive

7200rpm 8mb cache 160gb hdd

And also is it possible to transfer all files from my hard drive to the sata hard drive or do i have to reinstall windows on the sata one?

The only way you could possibly do this would be to make a ghost image of your old disk. Then you might be able to put that image onto the new drive and have Windows boot. You might get lucky.

freesh install is always a nice solution, that way you will start with a nice and clean install,

my 2 cents

and raid 0 is definatly a must if you wanna upgrade your Hdd, i did the same thing and its running damn sweet, im even loading games more faster then my friend which got a P4 2.8 HT and 1 raptor

and i only have 2 maxtor sata 1 8mb hdd

In a RAID array, your system writes zeros to one drive, and one's to another. In theory this will double the read speeds and write speeds, but in reality it doesn't really double your storage device's performance. However, you will see a healthy increase in your hard dsik performance by running a RAID0 array.

See the RAID hard disk performance thread here at the Street. Here is the thread;

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4177