SLI-DR Expert- List of incompatibilities?

MrMan737

Hey all-

I've heard that the SLI-DR Expert has TONS of incompatabilities, ( Such as the fact that RAM can only be properly used when in the orange slots) and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a full list of rules that I would have to follow in setting up a system with the SLI-DR Expert.

Thanks in advance

I've heard that the SLI-DR Expert has TONS of incompatabilities,

It doesn't like cheap, crappy components - like every Lanparty board, thats pretty much it.

I'm not saying buy the most expensive stuff out there, but certainly DON"T get the cheapest. Look here for successful builds with components lists andbios settings. You'll need to go to the last few pages to get some with Expert boards, but really any of those systems will run just as well on the Expert as it does on an Ultra-D or Sli-DR.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10195

Don't just take rumors into account here. Many people have been unsuccessful building a working system out of DFI boards because they aren't the same old thing. They have some quirks, to be sure, and it takes time to learn them. If you have a little patience and read all of the stickys about overclocking and how to correctly put together your system you won't have a problem-we have many first-time builders that are very happy with Lanparty boards. Its the more experienced builder that "knows-it-all" that have all the problems when they throw their computer together expecting it to work.

Here's a couple of stickies that you may wish to read before purchasing one. I give you a lot of credit, at least you came here and asked before buying something you might not be happy with. Personally I've found both the Sli-DR and Expert to be very rewarding and fun to work with, though there were a few occasions that were frustrating. I highly recommend and Lanparty board, they're all works of art. :)

Overclocking Database - shows successful builds (last pages will have some Experts)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10195

Overclocking Guide - just shows a hint of what these boards can do, whether you plan on tweaking now or later

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

Initial build guide - strongly recommended to read through, good to brush up on it if nothing else

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20832

PSU Guide - Lanparty boards NEED good power

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

I think you will be very happy with one of these boards, but if you want to make sure everything you plan on buying, or just want advice for memory, search the fourm. There are probably over a hundred threads asking for build advice with the Expert, take a look at a few or start your own.

Edit:

Oh yeah...the orange slots tend to work for more people (in terms of stability and overclocking), some people use yellow - whichever works for you is the best. :) Nothing wrong with any of them, you can easily use 4 dimms if you want.

Couple things to note too, some claim this board has a cold-boot issue. Many of us think that is related to the quality of PSU you have...I've never had a problem.

Also the temperature sensor is reporting low temps on a lot of peoples boards, this is really only an issue if you are seriously overclocking so you might want to have an alternative method to get temperature readings.

Throw together a sig with what you think you want, and we'll figure out whther it'll work. :)

Thanks!

Here's the list:

NZXT Lexa Chassis

ULTRA-X2 SLI PSU (550 Watt)

Lanparty UT SLI-DR Expert

Athlon FX-60

OCZ Gold Dual Channel 2Gb (2x 1Gig)

2x 120gig SATAII Seagates in RAID 0

2x 7800GTX in SLI (or 2x G71s' when they come out)

52x CD-ROM

48x/16x DVD rom

Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED CPU Cooler

2x Nv Silencer 5s' for the videcards

IMHO the board is not for the faint of heart....it's making a man of me!! Now that I have gotten settings that others have fortunately found previously, and used them, things are going well and I'm really into the board. Hopefully all will click right away for you....like someone said, you don't just jump into a Ferrari everyday and drive all you want at peak performance....takes alot of finetuning...

Just had to chime in here. I am a total newbie to building and I read the stickies, read the mobo manual, and put it all together. The system is rock solid and is a very impressive performer. I got a little worried after reading all the problem posts, but it all went smooth as silk.

Everything looks pretty good, except as lowboy said-that psu is not a good idea.

With the amount of cash you're throwing at this you might as well get a PC-Power & Cooling 510 ASL or 850, won't be short on power then and you'll have one of the best psus money can buy.

I'd probably opt for a different heatsink (namely, a bigger one) but to each his own. It should overclock just fine.