quake 4 freezing. . .

divided

i just installed quake4 and after playing for ~20 minutes. the game just shuts itself off. it doesnt freeze, it just shuts down back to my desktop. i have dual monitors and have been monitoring temps, and during play they usually hit ~55c never higher. which suprised me a bit since when i run 3dmark they hit 65c. anyway i had task manager open last time it crashed, and the process just ends. the displays are discolored when this happens, like there really bright, too much contrast. like when im playing and alt-tab, that same sort of discoloration, when it crashed to the desktop. this system is stable, in everyother sense. any ideas?

you don't need the patch, it's for implimenting SMP, which your CPU is a single core.

First I'd try reinstalling the game. if that doesn't fix it, try reinstalling your vid drivers. after that i don't know what to tell ya. are you trying to play on Ultra Quality? cuz mine will drop back to the desktop if i try it, i have to run on High and turn other stuff either up or on.

it has nothing to do with your comp be stable...

do a google search for Q4 patches...install the latest patch, and you will be good to go!

my brother couldnt even get the game to run til he installed the q4 patch.

ive reinstalled the vid drivers, and i am not running on ultra quality. i run 1024 with max settings, and high quality. i yield ~60fps. anyway ill try the patches when i get home....any other ideas? its wierd how the game just stops.