• Thermalright XP-90
    • Thermalright XP-90c
    • Thermaltake Big Typhoon
    • Thermaltake CL P0024-tower
    • Zalman CNPS9500
    • Scythe SCNJ-1000-tower
    • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro
    • Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 pro

OK, there is always healthy debate on which heatpipe is the best for extreme overclocking on air. I have done a lot of research and found that it's really a toss-up between these heatpipes. I am personally leaning towards the xp-120, xp-90c.....but this poll could change my mind(my ultra fire heatpipe is just not cutting it=52c @ 2.7ghz and 1.475v).

I figured we could do this as well, for any newbs that might be asking the same questions down the road.

As you know there is alot to choose from. Choose wisely. Please feel free to comment on your poll decisions. Also, please consider cost, fitment & ease of mounting into your polling decisions.

(i tried to keep the poll as small as possible, so if there is any obvious choice i am missing, please let me know.)

CJ

Personally I still say the Zalman 7700cu is the best heatsink in terms of cooling, sound, and installation. I haven't used some of the newer ones you have listed there so that may have changed, but it beats the thermalrights as far as I'm concerned.

I gotta cpns9500 and its very nice. With stock settings it runs at <25c idle(which is also my fan shut off temp)...... so its totally passive unless I start doing something that uses the cpu.

It let me get to a very unstable 3.0ghz @1.63v @50-52c....... and a very stable 2.82 with about 1.5v @ 40-45c.

Doesn't weigh much compared to a lot of the other "uber-coolers" so its less likely to break your mobo than some other coolers. Its clearly the prettiest of the bunch, and helps encourage airflow in the correct direction.

This poll needs to take cost, fitment & ease of mounting in to consideration,

that being considered the XP-90 beats all them all! :nod:

No way, those things aren't easy at all to mount...at least to first time users. Spose if you deal with them all the time they might not be terrible but bolt through is by far superior as far as I'm concerned. Much more solid fit and it's much easier to put on and take off ones the back plate is on. In terms of cost the 90 is probably the way to go I spose...

No way, those things aren't easy at all to mount...at least to first time users. Spose if you deal with them all the time they might not be terrible but bolt through is by far superior as far as I'm concerned. Much more solid fit and it's much easier to put on and take off ones the back plate is on. In terms of cost the 90 is probably the way to go I spose...

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but all I had to do was unscrew the bracket from the motherboard, screw in the bracket that came with the XP-90 and push the clips down. The only thing easier would be using the original bracket.

I'm a zalman fanboy.. excluding their chipset cooler, their installation is easy, and their product works well. But, their CNPS9500 costs $64. That's not worth the temp drop to me from the $35 CNPS7700, and certainly not worth the temp drop from what can be a $27 XP-90 combined with a souped up panaflo. Argueably, they could work the same.. the only good thing about the zalman is that it takes the CPU heat and throws it to the exhaust fan. However, a downside is that if you have a cool running CPU that's in the 30s under load like a venice or winchester core, you lose the mobo/chipset cooling you had with the fans that face down. $64 for a hsf, that's insane. Any watercooling you could get at that price would suck, but if I were looking at $64 for a hsf, I'd start looking at watercooling.

The SI-120, while nice, also costs a lot more for what could be a little difference in temperature.