Angry's Blog of Doom (or idiocy....take your pick)

Angry_Games

Ok, time for a thinking (a little philosophy) question for Angry and Momma...

How do you view reality? Objective (concrete and things are a certain way outside of perception) or subjective (things change according to how we view them / want them to be)? Why?

I subjectively view reality. I believe that we make our own reality and what already exsists also makes us. Can you tell I am a sociology major studying Parsons right now? Hehe.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I subjectively view reality. I believe that we make our own reality and what already exsists also makes us. Can you tell I am a sociology major studying Parsons right now? Hehe.

ROFL! Sociology major you are... Philosophers hate sociologists. They muddle the definitions of terms to suit their own needs. For instance in philosophy, it would be impossible for there to be a subjective reality (only perception exists, the mind is the limitation of our existence) AND something outside of us (an objective group of beings that we only perceive as we pass into and out of existence as human beings). The distinction has been completely lost because some grand sociologist got the bright idea to say that we make our own "reality" and that what surrounds us shapes us as well (what you said momma). The bad part of this is that the word "reality" from a philosophical standpoint means "everything that is, has esse, or being". What the sociologist really meant was that we shape our own circumstances given the different levels of society which shape us, but now the media has picked up the word "reality" from the sociologists misuse of it and run amuck with it leaving the poor philosophers all the more confused if they don't carefully work out the semantics before they try to develop their opinions. heh... Not that anyone would really want to BE a philosopher anyway (not sure that anyone cares that much about absolute truth anymore anyway)! At least there is a little money in sociology... :nod:

ROFL! Sociology major you are... Philosophers hate sociologists. They muddle the definitions of terms to suit their own needs. For instance in philosophy, it would be impossible for there to be a subjective reality (only perception exists, the mind is the limitation of our existence) AND something outside of us (an objective group of beings that we only perceive as we pass into and out of existence as human beings). The distinction has been completely lost because some grand sociologist got the bright idea to say that we make our own "reality" and that what surrounds us shapes us as well (what you said momma). The bad part of this is that the word "reality" from a philosophical standpoint means "everything that is, has esse, or being". What the sociologist really meant was that we shape our own circumstances given the different levels of society which shape us, but now the media has picked up the word "reality" from the sociologists misuse of it and run amuck with it leaving the poor philosophers all the more confused if they don't carefully work out the semantics before they try to develop their opinions. heh... Not that anyone would really want to BE a philosopher anyway (not sure that anyone cares that much about absolute truth anymore anyway)! At least there is a little money in sociology... :nod:

Not if you are going to teach it :P. I think sociology and philosophy both have very good uses and I am not a stringent sociologist. I am studying to be more of a social studies/history teacher.

Not if you are going to teach it :P. I think sociology and philosophy both have very good uses and I am not a stringent sociologist. I am studying to be more of a social studies/history teacher.

LOL!! SO TRUE! One of my brothers and one of my sisters are teachers. They really don't make much at all... Don't get me wrong, I like sociology. I think it is quite useful in studying human interaction on a mass scale. I am just a philosophy buff who searches for absolute truths about life, the universe, and everything in his spare time. There is nothing more annoying when talking philosophy though than speaking 2 different languages because someone knows the sociological definition of words rather than the philosophical definitions. Semantics is SO bothersome! Honestly, I think that is what plays a large part in the starting of wars and the like.

LOL!! SO TRUE! One of my brothers and one of my sisters are teachers. They really don't make much at all... Don't get me wrong, I like sociology. I think it is quite useful in studying human interaction on a mass scale. I am just a philosophy buff who searches for absolute truths about life, the universe, and everything in his spare time. There is nothing more annoying when talking philosophy though than speaking 2 different languages because someone knows the sociological definition of words rather than the philosophical definitions. Semantics is SO bothersome! Honestly, I think that is what plays a large part in the starting of wars and the like.

Wars are usually fought when peoples' strong beliefs come in contact with one another and don't agree.

I haven't taken any philosophy courses so I guess I am missing out, but sounds like I would be confused with semantics if I tried, hehe. My current sociology professor brings in philosophy from time to time with readings in Foucault and of course many of the early fathers of the sociological tradition (Kant, Comte, and other Enlightenment thinkers) were philosophers.

Wars are usually fought when peoples' strong beliefs come in contact with one another and don't agree.

I haven't taken any philosophy courses so I guess I am missing out, but sounds like I would be confused with semantics if I tried, hehe. My current sociology professor brings in philosophy from time to time with readings in Foucault and of course many of the early fathers of the sociological tradition (Kant, Comte, and other Enlightenment thinkers) were philosophers.

Yes, Kant's categorical imperatives are the foundation of many modern theological arguments. Not surprising that Comte's name would come up in sociology, heh, he made the term up. It was supposed to be a search for absolute knowledge. I'm guessing he would turn over in his grave if he knew what it had become. :shake: I honestly have no clue who Foucault is. Just never came up in my studies I suppose. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Yes, Kant's categorical imperatives are the foundation of many modern theological arguments. Not surprising that Comte's name would come up in sociology, heh, he made the term up. It was supposed to be a search for absolute knowledge. I'm guessing he would turn over in his grave if he knew what it had become. :shake: I honestly have no clue who Foucault is. Just never came up in my studies I suppose. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Well the reason he came up in my sociology class is because of his discussion on the ethos of the Enlightenment. He's French philosopher who died in 1984 and here's a link that would probably explain better than my blathering:

http://foucault.info/foucault/biography.html

Do you guys still play Eve-online, cause you never seem to be online :)

and what chat are you hanging in, KDM pub seams pretty dead most of the time.

And damned update my 1st day off in a while and the game is down :(

Do you guys still play Eve-online, cause you never seem to be online :)

and what chat are you hanging in, KDM pub seams pretty dead most of the time.

And damned update my 1st day off in a while and the game is down :(

Not as much as I would like to anymore cause of school. I log in every week and change one of my long skills I have been training but other than that no. We hope to get back into the swing of thing eventually. I still have the KDM pub chat open in my window, but other than that we don't belong to any other private channels.

travis,

u runnin the street server out of your own pocket, right?

i been thinlin id like to donate some hardware. got a wish list?

mabee you have a piece of equipment or 2 that would help ya out,and wouldnt hurt my pocket book too much.

i dunna hard drives/mobo/case/ram. some small peice oh help i can give as a token of thanks.

travis,

u runnin the street server out of your own pocket, right?

i been thinlin id like to donate some hardware. got a wish list?

mabee you have a piece of equipment or 2 that would help ya out,and wouldnt hurt my pocket book too much.

i dunna hard drives/mobo/case/ram. some small peice oh help i can give as a token of thanks.

much appreciate the offer, but not necessary ;)

if you have some hardware you don't need that is something that someone might really want, contact one of the moderators and have them tell you how to hold one of our contests and give it away ;)

or just sell it in the For Sale section and put some extra cash into your pocket ;)