Dram bank interleave and other questions

stowenrat

Just flashed the 5/4 official bios and it has given me a new option in the bios-'Dram bank interleave'-am I right in thinking that-'enabled' is for performance and 'dis-abled' gives more stability?

Anyone else noticed after applying Artic cooler5 their temps get higher than they were-like it takes days for it to 'bed in' ?

I think I get lack of stability when using higher vcore could this be my psu?

Started overclocking again as I just bought a 3700+ :nod: hence all the questions ;)

Yea AS5 seems to take a few hrs. at temp to really start working well. When running my 3700 clawhammer nothing above 1.65V. really seemed to help at all as far as performance gains but the mem controller was a little better on that cpu than this one is with 2X1 gigs. I have considered removal of the IHS to see what that would do for me but as you know there are risks when attempting to do this. Oh yes bank interleave is definately a nice performance boost as well.

After some more playing about I am really frustrated by my temps this 3700 Claw will do a lot more than I am getting atm. I can't give more than 1.55 vcore or my temp goes over 50c at load, I can get 238x11(2618mhz)@1.55vcore but using 1.65 vcore I was getting 226x12(2712mhz) before I had to stop Occt because of temps.

Taking the side panel off only lowers temps by 1 or 2 degrees so it must be the cpu cooler, but that is a Thermalright slk 948.

I wouldn't even consider taking the IHS off, I would balls it up but something isn't right with these temps.

At 1.55 vcore the idle cpu temp can go as low as 33c but goes to 50c under load:(

The spread in temps from idle to load lead me to believe you have a contact issue. Either with the heatsink to IHS or IHS to core. If I start to get more than a 10 degree split at reasonable voltage on air I pull the sink back off and take a look. Look at the contact pattern on the heatsink and make sure there is an even thickness of AS5 across.

I think you are right mate, I wil do that when I get a can, thanks.

I just hope I can cure it.

edit

Just reset the heatsink and am getting 3-4c cooler temps now, was using too much AS5 previously I reckon.

I have a 3200 Newcastle here I am gonna try to take the ihs off of. If it goes smoothly I might try it on the new chip too I think.

Is the correct way with an old fashioned razor blade and put the chip in the freezer for 20 min?

Well I took the IHS off them both, the 3200 has benefitted the most but that ran a bit cooler anyway I think.

Seems to have knocked about 6c off the load temp, should get some more when the AS5 cures.

I can run 2.7 at 1.65 vcore and not go over 50c now anyway.

Decided to just run at 2.62 at 1.55 vcore and enjoy the low temps I get from removing the IHS(32 idle-45 load-still to cure AS5). The real-life difference from 2.62 to 2.7 isn't worth the the volts and temps and I get a buzz from running real cooool ;)

Temp spread is still more than I would like but I can live with this setup 24/7.

Damn right:)

I am no overclocker really, taking the IHS off was a bit extreme for me, but I like to know I am well away from unstable and using as little volts as possible to get a nice little gain in performance.

I have neither the time, brains or inclanation to be a proper overclocker.