Using SATA II on NF4 SLI-DR?

I just received my maxtor diamondmax SATA2 250gb drive and I'm having a strange problem. I first tried connecting it with the default jumper (3Gbps) and bios detects it fine but once in Windows, when I run disk management (admin tools) and try to intialize the disk.. it never works.

I changed the jumper to SATA 1.5gpbs and went back into windows and had no problems at all intilizating

The thing is, my mobo is a DFI sli-dr and the nvidia SATA ports are supposed to be SATA II. - so what's wrong?

thanks for any input!

I just received my maxtor diamondmax SATA2 250gb drive and I'm having a strange problem. I first tried connecting it with the default jumper (3Gbps) and bios detects it fine but once in Windows, when I run disk management (admin tools) and try to intialize the disk.. it never works.

I changed the jumper to SATA 1.5gpbs and went back into windows and had no problems at all intilizating

The thing is, my mobo is a DFI sli-dr and the nvidia SATA ports are supposed to be SATA II. - so what's wrong?

thanks for any input!

same problem here

yes, i did a search and what should i do? how do i contact maxtor? or which firmware should i download and from where?

You can either get a new firmware from the Maxtor or disable the NCQ...

From what I gathered NCQ is a good thing so I'd prefer not to disable it.

I've tried searching for maxtor firmware and searching the maxtor website but I see nothing?

I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction - or does it not even matter if the disks aren't in RAID? I don't think there's any speed difference?

From what I gathered NCQ is a good thing so I'd prefer not to disable it.

I've tried searching for maxtor firmware and searching the maxtor website but I see nothing?

I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction - or does it not even matter if the disks aren't in RAID? I don't think there's any speed difference?

NCQ is a good thing if your typical usage is a heavy multitasking in respect to the hard disk, for example, encoding/decoding in the background, any kind of the server (web, file, game) etc.

If single user environment is a better description for your usage, the disabling NCQ can even give some performance increase...

Anyway, it is worth trying if disabling the NCQ will solve the problem, just to see will it help or not.

MAXTOR REPLIED TO ME.... NOTHING TO DO... NOTHING TO WAIT FROM MAXTOR..NOTHING TO WAIT FROM NVIDIA... read the answer and youu ll understand that or you buy a different brand of a SATA II disc to work on SATAII controller or you decide to work Silicon Image controller which is SATAI only.

Discussion Thread

Response (Meiling Huang) 12/26/2005 07:17 PM

Dear Spyros,

Nforce 4 chip set does not support SATA II 300 drive, set SATA 150 jumper may work around this issue.

Let me know if you have any further problem.

Best regards,

Meiling

Maxtor Technical Support

Customer (Spyros Spyratos) 12/26/2005 06:41 PM

Serial Numbers of my MAXTOR HDs are:

V602XXRH , V602XQVH

I havent changed the firmware the date is 4/9/2005

and the code VA111610 FOR BOTH.

It was impossible to use one of them for system...

they never boot correctly and recently I found out

that they can be set on RAID 0 (stripe) only on a

SiliconImage Sata controller and there is no way to do

the same on an NF4 Nvidia sata controller.

Both controllers are available on my DFI LANPARTY

NF4-DR motherboard...

and it's sad to pay for sata II disks and be forced to

use them as sata I.

I would appreciate if you possibly help me to get the

most of my Maxtor disks.

Thank you

Spyros Spyratos

AND NVIDIA REPLIED ALSO...

Discussion Thread

Response (MG) 01/05/2006 01:14 PM

Thank you for replying. We will investigate this issue however a fix most likely would come through an SBIO update, not a chipset driver update. You may want to report this to your motherboard manufacturer as well so that they may have a report on this and hopefully release a BIOS update for your motherboard once a fix is made available.

Customer (Spyros Spyratos) 01/05/2006 11:44 AM

The model of my Hard Disk is

MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX 10 6V300F0

300GB SATA 3Gb.

Unfortunately there was no way to boot this disc from NF4 and there was no way to set a RAID on NF4 with those discs.

I bought 3 of them and I use them on the other controller of SiliconImage which is SATA I.

I hope this problem can be resolved with a new chipset driver.

Thank you for answering to my email.

• 3 months later...