Fan speeds?

I was wondering if any of you had a good link or could help me figure out of my fans are running at their max RPM's. The 120mm fan I have didn't have the RPM sensor and it just doesn't seem like it's running at its max speed since it's been super quiet and I'm used to the noisy 80mm's :) I have it hooked up now to a 4-pin molex with via a 3pin connector which I am pretty sure is hooked up for 12v.

Thanks for any help!

Guest Blooz1

Don't forget that a 120MM fan usually runs at a slower RPM than an 80MM pushing the same CFM.

Enjoy the quiet!

Find out the make and model of your fan and check online. Low speed fans (1500 RPM) have less noise and move less air. High Speed Fans (4500 RPM) move insane amounts of air and have an insane amount of noise. Then there's everything in between.

Find out the make and model of your fan and check online. Low speed fans (1500 RPM) have less noise and move less air. High Speed Fans (4500 RPM) move insane amounts of air and have an insane amount of noise. Then there's everything in between.

That's why I was wondering, since it says for my model it should be around 35 dBA but it's so quiet I didn't even know if it was still on :)

So, have any of you ever upped the voltage to your fans to get some more airflow?

Again, don't forget that larger fans can push more air at the same speed as a smaller fan, so you don't need a very fast 120mm fan. For the CPU, 1500 RPMs for a 120mm fan is very very good.

That's why I was wondering, since it says for my model it should be around 35 dBA but it's so quiet I didn't even know if it was still on :)

So, have any of you ever upped the voltage to your fans to get some more airflow?

No, I usually buy a fan that has higher airflow and use a Sunbeam Rheobus to turn them down if they're too loud. Some of it is trial and error - I have a 92mm F5 tornado here that's probably somewhere in the 60dba range, even turned down as far as it will go, the sound is annoying. There were some others (can't remember the name, but they were cheap) that had an annoying click when turned down. I've had good luck with my Mechatronics and Panaflo's. I've heard some good things about the Delta Triple Blades as well.

Well, a lil OT here, but those who rave about the Panaflos, do they make a model with the speed sensor? How does the DFI mobos react to a 0 RPM CPU fan reading if not?

I am a bit paranoid about using a fan that does not have a speed sensor for my CPU.

Most fans now have a speed sensor. The connector would have a third speed-sensor wire along with the usual positive and negative.

Well, I know that :rolleyes: That's why I said

The 120mm fan I have didn't have the RPM sensor

Is there a way to import one or go by voltage readings or just sticking your hand in front of the fan and differentiating between slow/fast?