What does HTT/FSB give guys?

madu

HI guys..

I'm reading through the overclocking guide and trying to understand the stuff. I'm not getting some points made in the document.

As far as I understand(this is for AMD64 +3700):

LTD = 3xFSB

HTT = 2xLTD (2 comes from DUAL CHANNEL right guys??)

And in this case,

HTT/FSB = 6

This is a constant value.

If I up this, HTT will go up. But it shold be kept around 2000 and was mentioned in the document and that there is no obvious use of upping the HTT frequency.

What I cant understand is, by adjusting HTT/FSB, it only effects the HTT. WHat am I missing guys?? How can I up the CPU frq. by this?

i know I'm missing a big point here, but cant figure out. Please help guys.

Thanks!

lets see .... first of all, u should take whatever that im gonna write with caution. As they may not be accurate.

We'll start with LTD .. it really is LDT(Lightning Data Transport) with the end result(of the whole thing) being called hypertransport technology. It provides up to 2000 MHz system bus and up to 14.4 GB/sec total processor-to-system bandwidth. To achieve stability and to not stress the memory controller in the cpu it should be around 2000MHz or less. Hence, depending on ur FSB, it could be 5X at stock, and should use lower values if u plan to overclock(increase the fsb to more than 200)

So .. for ur sandy at stock(2.2Ghz), ur genie BIOS should look as follows:-

FSB=200

LDT/FSB=5X (This is the ratio)

CPU/FSB=11X

Hypertransport(HTT) =(FSB X LDT) X 2 (I think u r rite about the dual channel thing here) = 2000MHz.

Now, in order to increase ur CPU frequency, u'll need to up the FSB. Assuming u r targeting to get to 2.42GHz u'll have to up the FSB to 220 (220X11 ~2.42). This however will stress ur cpu due to the fact that u r also upping the HTT to 2200MHz(220(fsb)X5(LDT)X2~2200MHz). So all u have to do is to lower the LDT/FSB ratio to X4. So the end result of ur HTT would be 1760MHz(220X4X2) which should be ok(~<2000MHz). The higher the FSB, the lower the LDT should be to maintain stability. Thats all there is to it.

Take note though, with CPU/Mem raatio at 1:1, ur memory will also be overclock by upping the FSB which will also make ur system unstable, hence there is memory dividers to suit ur memory overclocking capabilities.

Hope this helps

Hi..

That was great!! Got the hang of it! So thats what the mem divider does!

Thanks a lot bro!

Can anybody tell me what they mean they say stuff like 2-3-2-3 about memory? I coudnt find a answer for this. What are they actually talking about?

Thanks guys..

Cheers!

Can anybody tell me what they mean they say stuff like 2-3-2-3 about memory? I coudnt find a answer for this. What are they actually talking about?!

Did you read through the whole oc guide yet ?

There is a memory guide toward the end.. :nod:

Hi..

That was great!! Got the hang of it! So thats what the mem divider does!

Thanks a lot bro!

Can anybody tell me what they mean they say stuff like 2-3-2-3 about memory? I coudnt find a answer for this. What are they actually talking about?

Thanks guys..

Cheers!

Thunda was right .... try to read them again .. i know its long. Trust me .. thats the best guide out there .... thats where i started mine. Be patience, read them throughout and u'll be fine.