why buy fx when lower end OC fine?

fartonmyear

Some people dont want to go to the effor to learn how to overclock correctly they are better off with a FX. Also if you are looking for the true max overclock the FX can be a great way to go though the oplys look like they are beting it at the moment.

I have had an FX and the memcontroller on it was fantastic. My TCCD would go up to DDR 610 with ease at 2.5-4-3-8. Now I realize the first thing you are going to say is "memory work great on divider, and doesnt hinder performance", well that may be true, some like to squeeze everything out of everything.

Now I prolly wont get another FX, but I do realize the other major advantage to the FX and that is their performance under phase or cascade (and other forms of supercooling). You look at the craziest OC and they are usually a FX variant. One day I might go for it but it is not in the near future.

The FX isnt for everyone, but they do have a purpose. Also they are going to hinder access to the Opty soon.

You are comparing overclocked non-FXes with non-overclocked FXes, that's the mistake.

Usually but not always you get a very fine piece of silicon for your FX money. And the unlocked multiplier makes some overclocking less painful.

Whether a couple hundred MHz are worth the price is up for everybody to decide.

It was OCZ 3700 Plat EL's if you can believe it. I got them about a year ago and I bought them used. They guy that had them before me said they didnt OC that well, so he gave me a good deal. Spent allot of time reading up on TCCD and slowly tweaked them up to 305.

Now they can run 285 with 2.68v DMM tested 24/7. Thats what my X2 likes them at. I just picked up the Mushkin Redline 2x1GB kit, buy I love my OCZ kit so much I dont want to sell them :)

Might just keep them for a Shuttle or something.

It was OCZ 3700 Plat EL's if you can believe it. I got them about a year ago and I bought them used. They guy that had them before me said they didnt OC that well, so he gave me a good deal. Spent allot of time reading up on TCCD and slowly tweaked them up to 305.

Now they can run 285 with 2.68v DMM tested 24/7. Thats what my X2 likes them at. I just picked up the Mushkin Redline 2x1GB kit, buy I love my OCZ kit so much I dont want to sell them :)

Might just keep them for a Shuttle or something.

Yeah thats the good deals you can get from people that dont learn how to set there own timmings and try to use other peoples timmings :nod: before the first week there buying new ram lol i see it 10 times a day here :rolleyes: I have no problem getting corsair XL memory to 300MHz but thats a bad word here so better not go there lol btw nice sticks and nice work ;)

I have no problem getting corsair XL memory to 300MHz but thats a bad word here so better not go there lol

Too funny:)

Ya, perserverence is a virtue that allot of people here could use a heavy dose of. I find that I like to spend allot of time tweaking, that is the fun for me. I guess it's not for everyone.

I am luvin the Mushkin 2x1 GB 4000 Redlines. They top out at 265 3-3-2-8 with nominal voltages. Gonna spend some time with them at higher voltage and see what gives. I will report back:)

Originally Posted by Smoken Joe

Some people dont want to go to the effor to learn how to overclock correctly they are better off with a FX.

why would you say something like that. not all people with FX's are like that. for instance:me. I have spent time and time trying to overclock the hell out of my FX. I spent numerous time over and over again changing setting after setting to get my FX to where it is right now. To say that I don't put the effort into learning how to overclock correctly is just wrong.

why would you say something like that. not all people with FX's are like that. for instance:me. I have spent time and time trying to overclock the hell out of my FX. I spent numerous time over and over again changing setting after setting to get my FX to where it is right now. To say that I don't put the effort into learning how to overclock correctly is just wrong.
LoL we didnt know you went by( some )lol :rolleyes:

Here is that second sentence that you did not bother to read:

....... if you are looking for the true max overclock the FX can be a great way to go though the oplys look like they are beting it at the moment.

Read my second sentence dude and dont take things out of contex read the whole thing before getting offended. I cant be that hard to understand.