PATA Drive Raid-0 Setup

My buddy has the Ultra D and we worked for three days trying that combination because the manual said it would work. It would set up the array in the bios and everything would appear healthy but windows would always see two disks. Slipstreamed 3 different versions of drivers into the Windows CD, played with Master/Slave jumpers, CS jumper, no jumper and no matter what we did it Windows would not see an array. I finally ended up going back to my house and grabbing a couple serillels from Abit purchases and setting up a raid0 on the sata ports. We thought maybe it was our setup, wrong drivers, or a board that didn't work properly so we got on the phone and found another guy with a SLI- DR and tried it on his to no avail..

EIDE to SATA adapters is another option.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These drivers can be a classy lady... I don't know why they haven't fixed this already. (Shame on the guilty ones)

Where are Fernando when you need him? He's like the expert on this matter.

I tried a couple of F6 floppydisks with my Windows install and there were plenty that didn't work. Somehow I managed to get the F6 driver from dfi to work (while everyone was saying it shouldn't work... ?).

Try it and see if it works for you. I think this driver is a bit old, and should work for both 32-bit and 64-bit if I am not misstaken.

For RAID you can put the drives on either 2 sepearte channels, Primary Master+Secondary Master or on one channel like the manual says Primary Master+Primary Slave or Secondary Master+Secondary Slave. You will get better throughput if your using two seperate channels though, so that's why everyone would suggest you would use seperate instead of two drives on the same channel.

These drivers can be a classy lady... I don't know why they haven't fixed this already. (Shame on the guilty ones)

Where are Fernando when you need him? He's like the expert on this matter.

Hi suspekt,

I was just going through the below link....

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...0903#post330903

The post #4 pointed me to a link where 'Fernando' has given his inputs. There I found a link to download nF4 drivers with version 6.82 and I thought that the 6.7 were the latest ones.....

Any one who have used these drivers? Hope these drivers solve the 'so called' PATA Raid problem?

The post #4 pointed me to a link where 'Fernando' has given his inputs. There I found a link to download nF4 drivers with version 6.82 and I thought that the 6.7 were the latest ones.....
This is what you have read:
Users with an nForce4 AMD/Intel SLI X16 mainboard should take the new nForce chipset driver package 6.82
As you have no SLIx16 board, you should take the nForce package 6.70.

CU

Fernando

So, what say you, its ok if I try the 6.82 drivers in case I have a SLI-D?
No, I would not suggest this driver package for you.

Reasons:

1. This package is for SLIx16 mainboards (that means that the board should support 2 of the x16 SLI cards).

2. This package have neither a LEGACY nor a PATARAID subfolder, which makes it difficult to put the right files into the right subfolder.

3. Don't think, that the Pata or Raid drivers of the 6.82 package are newer than those from the 6.70 package - they have the identical version 5.52.

CU

Fernando

No, I would not suggest this driver package for you.

Reasons:

1. This package is for SLIx16 mainboards (that means that the board should support 2 of the x16 SLI cards).

2. This package have neither a LEGACY nor a PATARAID subfolder, which makes it difficult to put the right files into the right subfolder.

3. Don't think, that the Pata or Raid drivers of the 6.82 package are newer than those from the 6.70 package - they have the identical version 5.52.

CU

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

As you said, I will use the 6.7 drivers and also referred msfn forums and as directed will slipstream it into my XP SP2 and give it a try.

But I wanted to know from you whether the Master - Slave RAID0 on a single IDE channel has been know to cause problems to the extent that you cannot configure a RAID0 array successfully....its important for me because I can bargain for a better price while buying the Hitachi T7K250 and get my TWO seagate PATA's exchanged for ONE PATA (here exchange prices are very low so not enough to buy another SATA)

Hi Fernando,

I wanted to know from you whether the Master - Slave RAID0 on a single IDE channel has been know to cause problems to the extent that you cannot configure a RAID0 array successfully....its important for me because I can bargain for a better price while buying the Hitachi T7K250 and get my TWO seagate PATA's exchanged for ONE PATA (here exchange prices are very low so not enough to buy another SATA)

I am not an expert in PATA Raid systems, because I only had SATA hard disk drives as long as I have my DFI Mobo.

If I were you I would not change your 2 Seagate PATA hard disks for 1 Hitachi PATA hard disk. I would change them for a SATA II hard disk and later (when I have the money) I would buy a second SATA II hard disk drive.

CU

Fernando

I am trying to slipstream the raid files into the XP installation CD using nLite, but I am unable to find a folder called pata raid under the IDE/WINXP folder. I only see

legacy

raid tool

sata_ide

sataraid

Should I just go ahead and use the files inside the legacy folder.