Any DFI Socket 754 Mobo's out there that support E6 semprons out of th

You can always change the (MA Timing) Command Rate from 1T to 2T and see if that makes things more stable?

Basically, his example illustrates the inherent on die memory controller design, and the possibility that the controller may become a limiting factor when overclocking your system memory speeds.

What is your max HTT?

with A64 cpu's they have the mem controller built into the core, so it's really the mem controller revision that makes a difference. the E3 controller really sucks for 1T. the first revision that made a difference was the E4 controller, but now we're up in the E5/E6 revisions now.

I don't want to run 2T that would defeat the point of the ram i just bought. on my current system i can run my new ram (after a lot of Alpha tweaking) at 265mhz ( DDR530) FSB w/CL2.0-3-2-3-5-9-10-1-1-3-3-2-1-3-1T. this is the limitation of the chipset, not my ram. the problem i'm speaking of is my nf2 has dual 64bit mem controllers and the nf3 250 has only a single 64bit mem controller. So, my reason for asking about FSBmem scaling is to see how well the new E5/E6 controller works with 2 double sided DIMMs in and overclocked state.

on that note, i've been talking with Angry and he's told me that the revision of mem controller makes the difference but his X2 4400+ he's been abusing, lol, just died but it has the E4 controller and he said he'd not want to go back to that revision again. but he's running on a nf4 ultra chipset and his experiences will be different that mine, of the nf3 250.

so i thought i'd ask for people's experiences with running 2 double sided DIMMs and how well this mobo/chipset handles in overclocking. the ram i have is TCCD DDR400 2-2-2-5 / DDR600 2.5-4-4-8 so the ram won't be holding back my mem bus.

TGM

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TheGeekMistress:

With A64 cpu's they have the mem controller built into the core, so it's really the mem controller revision that makes a difference. the E3 controller really sucks for 1T. the first revision that made a difference was the E4 controller, but now we're up in the E5/E6 revisions now.

Found that out the hardway when my brothers system would crash on some flash animation based webpages. Really odd problem when everything else was overclocked to the moon and no problems. Changing it to 2T stopped the reboots and random crashes, but like you said the memory hit was not cool. He was using an Asrock 939-Dual to keep his AGP card, but ended up getting a X800GTO2 that was bad, then retuned it for a XFX 6800GS XXX in the end (dam good nvidia card). I would have gone with an Epox board if he was not going to hold on to his old card...sigh..lol

I don't want to run 2T that would defeat the point of the ram i just bought. on my current system i can run my new ram (after a lot of Alpha tweaking) at 265mhz ( DDR530) FSB w/CL2.0-3-2-3-5-9-10-1-1-3-3-2-1-3-1T. this is the limitation of the chipset, not my ram. the problem i'm speaking of is my nf2 has dual 64bit mem controllers and the nf3 250 has only a single 64bit mem controller. So, my reason for asking about FSBmem scaling is to see how well the new E5/E6 controller works with 2 double sided DIMMs in and overclocked state.

Sometimes the 2T can be made up for in a higher overclock. What sort of cooling do you have on the chipset?

Why would you want a NF3 250? Then again you can lock AGP bus and you don't want to give up your AGP ATI card. I know several users were able to run 300+HTT with AGP and PCI locks. Since the Athlon64 had no traditional FSB, there is really no true synchronized ram speed, which implies the memory runs at same frequency as fsb. In the case of the A64 the memory controller(and hence the fsb) is moved onto the CPU die, so is in effect running at full core speed. Since we don’t have memory that can run at the frequency of the A64 cpus, there is no true synchronized ram speed to the bus and any setting is asynchronized to the CPU speed.

So if you have a Nf2 board now and want an Nf3 250 board to overclock higher then I don't see a problem with that. What I heard was that E4 was not as good as E3, but they fixed some problems. And I know nothing about the E5 because it was passed by the E6 too fast. I believe that the E6 is a better stepping, but well the E6 hasn't been overclocking as well as the E3, some do though. It is a mixed bag. The E6 was to correct some memory controller matters, what these are is not fully clear, but the flash animation crashing at 1T was one of those for my brother.

As for me, I'd ditch the AGP videocard. Time to get the Opty 939's and overclock them to 3GHz.

on that note, i've been talking with Angry and he's told me that the revision of mem controller makes the difference but his X2 4400+ he's been abusing, lol, just died but it has the E4 controller and he said he'd not want to go back to that revision again. but he's running on a nf4 ultra chipset and his experiences will be different that mine, of the nf3 250.

Yup, the E4 sucked for overclocking. And the main purpose of NF4 was to bring PCIe to the AMD platform.

so i thought i'd ask for people's experiences with running 2 double sided DIMMs and how well this mobo/chipset handles in overclocking. the ram i have is TCCD DDR400 2-2-2-5 / DDR600 2.5-4-4-8 so the ram won't be holding back my mem bus.

Most sticks are double sided these days, so you should be okay with just 2 double sided DIMMs. If I recall, the DFI board has a Memory speed lock? :D

TGM