Thermal Compounds?

Meltdown

I'm relatively new to overclocking and intend to start in the new year after i've got xmas out the way.

I've already decided on a Thermalright SI-120 for the CPU cooler but am unsure what thermal compound to use, from what i've read both Arctic Silver 5 & Arctic Ceramique are good quality products and was wondering which one the knowledgable people on this forum would recommend

AS Ceramic, all the way.

AS5 goes out very quickly depending on what you got setup and stuff.

Mine goes out within a month, as5.

Ceramic supposedly lasts alot longer.

I dn about this yet, It has'nt been a month yet lol.

Anyways you won't notice a temp diff between the 2 until ceramic has broken in, fter then ceramic has a lower diode temp and socket temps "may" be higher(it's because ceramic is better).

Anyways ceramic is a hella lot more stable, much beter at doing it's job.

I can't run 250x10 at 1.725v with as5 without bsod'ing allmost instantly.

While with ceramic I was able to try and try and try without any bsod.

Though I got errors, it was still clearly the better gel.

Ceramic does take a few days to break in it seems, while with as5 I never got lower temps from a supposed gel breakin.

It's totally up to you but I really reccomend you get ceramic.

You'll be much happier with it.

I've been using Ceramique myself for about a year and a half with great results. I've had an application of it on my Radeon 9500 Pro for about a year and it still seems to be cooling it down well. I've also used it on two other video cards and 5 or 6 CPUs and all of them have benefited from it. It's pretty cheap for a tube and it isn't slightly electrically capacitive, unlike AS5. The only bad thing about it I think is that it's not the easiest stuff to apply.

I've been using Ceramique exclusively since it came out.

Reasons?

-Price

-Longevity: It doesn't break down over time, and performs well.

-Ease of Use/Cleanup: I find it easy to apply, it's non-conductive, and cleans up easily with high concentration alcohol.