PWM IC - part deux. Finding a lot better OC'ing now that I have applie

Smallies

Well, i was having an issue with my PWM IC temp hitting 73C after I installed my X2 4400+ and OC'd to 1.52v @ 2585mhz. I ended up putting a 80mm low speed fan blowing directly onto the mosfets to the right of the CPU and now the PWM IC is running at 54C under load. 38C just futzing around right now in windows.

Point is, I can OC a lot easier now, ive prime95'd for 4 hours on both cores (one small FFT, one large FFT) and ran 3dmark etc., played games for hours, its stable as can be so far.

I've got some OCZ BGA ramsinks laying around, i'm thinking of just putting them on any exposed chips on the board lol... anyone know any particular problem chips that generate a lot of heat? In particular, does the actual PWM IC (not the mosfets) generate a lot of heat? I searched and found one guy saying it does, but i'd like to know if anyone else has heard that.

I am thinking the reason why my PWM IC temp has went down so much is the airflow is merely hitting the temperature sensor, not actually cooling the PWM IC (pulse width modulation integrated circuit). So thats why I'm thinking of putting the ramsinks on the actual chip above the 4-pin power connector (the long rectangular one).

I think it is more likely that your overclock improves because your new airflow cools some other component better. The PWM itself should work the same way when hot.

It would be a nice experiment to figure out which (by blocking individual components from the airflow path of your new fan).

Guest Crusader
Simply stirring up the air inside the case can make a huge temp improvement on many components.

The big hot spots on the DFI nf4 boards are the PWMIC, chipset and SIL SATA controller if you have the R models.

Interesting, I have a Lanparty Expert mobo and I also have 8 copper Thermaltake Ramsink coolers laying around. Do you think it would make sense (for OC purposes) to put these on any exposed chips on the mobo? (the ones I see are: ITE8712 chip, VIA VT6307 chip, Silicon Image SataLink chip, Marvell GB lan chip, and a Vitesse chip also for GB lan I think.)

Guest Crusader
You could always try them but I have a feeling you won't see much if any difference. The critical items already have sinks on them.

Okay thanks for the info. I may or may not try it someday then, no hurry.

I had 4 extra heatsinks from a vf700-cu that I mounted on my 6600GT.

I stuck one on the PWMIC chip which as far as I know is the one right by the 4-pin CPU ATX connector and the 24-pin connector.

My PWMIC temps dropped 3 degrees Celsuis.

Ya i did hte same thing. i orederd some mini sinks that everyone recommended. I forgot there name, but they where way better then the ghey plastic ones i got from koolance(yuck)..

Dropped my temps by 5c and i have a fan blowing on them now also. Though i wish i could find a solution other hten a desk fan, so i could close my case...

Guest thespin

@ExRoadie: Do you wonder - if the PWMIC temp isn't critical, why does DFI put a temp metering point on it ?

@ExRoadie: Do you wonder - if the PWMIC temp isn't critical, why does DFI put a temp metering point on it ?

Something to think about huh?!?!

It's not that the temp isn't critical, it's just that the higher failure point catches people by surprise. A CPU at 80C is a lot more critical than a PWMIC at 80C.

The first time I saw a temp diode on the PWMIC outside of a server board was a Shuttle XPC. It ran all day at 90C. Scared the doo doo out of me the first time I saw it. lol

something interesting to think about... adding a heatsink to the PWM IC may make it cooler.. but the sensor isn't even directly on the PWM IC.

Surprising that it actually drops the temps, since the sensor really is just an "area" sensor, not specifically for the PWM IC like say a CPU sensor.