Power supply

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had the 8 pin conector. However, the system hangs with one LED at startup. I have to turn off PSU, hit the powerswitch a few times. Then turn on PSU, and it will boot. Then the system may hang again... I switched back to TruPower and didn't have the same problem again.

I hate to issue a decenting opinion about OCZ (they are my memory company) but I have heard very bad things about the *_Longevity_* of the OCZ power supplies. In the long run they aren't that durable and reliable. I know two stellar overclockers (we'll just call them Clay and Mark) who jumped all over the OCZ PSU when Gordon Ma Ung of Maximum PC Magazine anoited this PSU as the supreme power in the universe more than a year ago.

Both of those PSUs are now dead and burried. If you read the customer reviews at newegg.com, you will read a significant number of corroborating stories. OCZ seems great out of the box. In the near term (year or so) they die. Live fast and die young is the slogan.

Right now there are only three PSUs I would buy myself:

(1) Seasonic S12 600watt. This was the #1 finisher on tomshardware.com's recent 6 week stress test. It is efficient, cool, quite, and SLI certified.

(2) Fortron BlueStorm 500 Watt. I have this one myself. Great PSU. Totally silent, great efficiency, super cool. I wouldn't hesistate to buy it again, but I need an 8pin PSU power plug for the Expert and this unit doesn't have it.

(3) Antec Phantom. This one got a raw deal from tomshardware.com. If you read the numbers and not the language of that review, you will see that (objectively) this PSU scores very much like the Seasonic S12, but it is totally silent. I have had a ton of good luck with Antec down through the years. I must have built 20 rigs with Antec PSUs over the 9 or so years I've been building for myself and friends. All except 1 turned out great. I am seriously thinking about using the Phantom, but it is expensive, delivers 100 watts less than Seasonic, and isn't SLI certified to the best of my knowledge (AFAIK). Still, I like this one a lot.

hello, does someone test the expert board with the new 520W OCZ SLI ready ?

I heard somewhere that the noise on this one was smaller that on the 520W OCZ "normal".........not SLI ready.

other question : I read somewhere that the opteron was not good for this motherboard.

that's true ???!!

thanks.