Air or Water ?

ReD.SkY

54 members have voted

1. 1.

• Air Cooled
    • Water Cooled

I was gonna say you cant even find water systems for 100 and if you did they cant be any good,I got my water from dfi-street for free:) (contest)and I think this setup could go for bout 200-250 but Ill never go back to air :shake: :shake: :shake:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

']

thx, i think i will stick with the xp-90c it looks good with some good testing.

The XP-90C IS a good choice for air-cooling. That and the 92mm, 119CFM, Vantec Tornado Fan is the combination I'm currently using on my FX-57. Just so you know though, since the XP-90C is 100%
copper
it
costs
and
weighs
2x as much as the XP-90 and doesn't require the same type of high CFM fan to do a good cooling job. This is because
copper
conducts
heat far better than
aluminum
, while
aluminum
radiates
heat a little better than
copper
. This is why an all
aluminum
HS
needs
a high CFM fan and why an all
copper
HS doesn't. However, having learned from past experience, I would
not
do air-cooling now anyway. I would go with
non
-
water
"
Liquid-Cooling
" for better processor
Over
Clocking :nod: .

']thx, i was afraid of using water anyways (leakage)

Yeah mine currently leaks a little bit around one of the fittings, I'm thinking the hose was cracked to begin with or something. Doesn't leak unless I move it, so I'm just leaving it 'til Christmas so I have time to fix it.

I'll be honest with you though, even with these three wonderful choices for "air-cooling" I would still recommend
LIQUID
-COOLING
more. Just so you know, water is only one version of
liquid
-cooling and it is not the best. You want to go with a form of "
liquid
-cooling" that uses an
anti-freeze
type liquid. It comes either as an additive to water or as a pre-mixed solution. This will work markedly better than
plain
water, should you decide to go that route with your CPU thermal solution. The reason for me giving you this advice is because the most important component in your computer that you should worry about
Over
Clocking is your CPU. You really don't need to concern yourself with
Over
Clocking your RAM or LDT
as much
. Your video card is a whole other "ball-of-wax" and you can
Over
Clock that however you'd like without feeling overly uneasy about it getting too hot. Since the CPU is the main thing you'll want to push to the limit, you really need to keep
that
at its coolest. I recommend that you forget about "air-cooling" and go with "
liquid
(not water)
cooling
" instead. I know that it does cost more than air-cooling, but you will get better
Over
Clocking results with it, not to mention that it is still considerably cheaper than
phase-cooling
if you are using “special” cooling for your CPU only.

The non-water liquid thermal solution has superior cooling qualities and usually contains corrosion inhibitors to protect your block, pump and reservoir from corrosion damage and performance degradation. These non-water-coolants typically will work with most water cooling systems. Here are a couple examples of some reputably good
CPU Liquid-Cooling systems
that I would recommend:

ZALMAN's "RESERATOR 1 Plus"

reserator01.jpgreserator_02b.jpg

reserator_c01.jpgreserator_06b_FlowIndicator.jpg

reserator_05b.jpg

Here's a link to this item at the manufacturer's website:

AND

ASESTEK's
water
chill
, TRIPLE Radiator, CPU Antarctica cooler, POWER KIT
(03-L-1247)

d_2351.jpgCaseoverview_300.jpg

WC_closeupCPU_650.jpgw_03_L_2003.jpg

2005-11-28_163332.png

Also, here is a link to all the awards the ASETEK's
water
chill
has won:

Their prices range from $229 to $280, and of course, as always, you can go directly to the best prices on the net for either one of these items simply by clicking on any of the photos in this post. I hope this helped you out
:^)

Just so you know though, since the XP-90C is 100% copper it costs and weighs 2x as much as the XP-90 and doesn't require the same type of high CFM fan to do a good cooling job. This is because copper conducts heat far better than aluminum, while aluminum radiates heat a little better than copper. This is why an all aluminum HS needs a high CFM fan and why an all copper HS doesn't.
This may be true, however, there is no need to go with the copper and let me tell you why.

1. weighs a lot

2. cost more

3. Testing shows that the XP90C cools only about 2-3C better than the XP90

The best bang for the buck would be a XP90 with a panaflo fan. You can get that at svc.com