OCZ PowerStream 520W

seraphimdfi

Just to add a little counterpoint to all of this OCZ Powerstream love, I have the new 520w Powerstream SLI edition and I have a few criticisms to go along with the compliments. The compliments are that the psu is well made, hefty (mass=good parts), stable, quite and pretty. ;)

The criticism is that the PCIE connectors are heavy shielded cables, very stiff. Just behind the PCIE connector you can feel some resistors under some shrink tubing, back of the electrical components and also under the shrink tubing is a 2 inch piece of hard plastic tubing over the shielded cable. So you need about 5 or 6 inches of clearance behind your graphics card in your case to use these two PCIE connectors. You don't have this in my Lian-Li case. :( I posted this on the OCZ support forum and asked if they had some L-Adapter or something, I was told that it was a new product and that they'd forward the post to the engineers.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14978

The PSU has two more heavy shielded cables coming out from it. These are the OCZ VGA/HDD cables, essentially two heavy, thick shield cables with one molex connector apiece on the cable. You would have thought that on a new product that has 2 PCIE power connectors, but only 2 SATA power connectors that better use could have been made by giving some more SATA connectors, or something. These VGA/HDD cables are in my way, and are of no use other than to block airflow. Also in the dozens of computers I've had, I've not had a problem with EMI and hard drives or video cards so I don't "get it".

Now I realize that my "bugs" are someone else's "features", there are folks who actually buy Monster cables at Circuit City and say things like "I got oxygen free copper wire because it's faster." :sweat:

Maybe the non-SLI version of the OCZ psu doesn't have these problems/features, or maybe you need these features, but I'll never buy another psu with heavy shielded cables in it. So, to me, this is a well crafted psu, with some brain dead cabling problems.

The criticism is that the PCIE connectors are heavy shielded cables, very stiff.

this is probably my main criticism of the OCZ psu's, other than the older ones I have are either lacking a PCI-E 6pin, or only have 1 (but the 520 and 600 should now both be dual PCI-E connectors)

The PSU has two more heavy shielded cables coming out from it

most of the time, I just use these for fan or fan controllers or something oddball...but I do agree that they are annoying and should be replaced with another 2x molex or 3x molex line instead...which is much much more flexible (and possibly useful)

Yeah it is always good when the Power supply you buy works. I have the OCZ Powerstream 520W and it carked it in 4 days. Still happy with what it did in 3 days and i allways know that not every product is going to work out of the box. (just like My BFG 6600 GT-OC that i had to wait 6 weeks for and then it didnt work!!) I am now goign to have to wait for them to replace it now.

The Non-SLI version also has these "heavy" shielded cables, I think its your case that might be on the skinny side. :)

No, the case is a mid-tower, the unique bug/feature of the case is that the the case has two 80mm filtered fans at the bottom front to suck in cool air, then behind the fans is the hard drive cage to keep them cool. The offset required by the fans is the difference, there's only about 3 or 4 inches between the hard drives and the board and that OCZ PCIE requires 6 inches to make a turn. A PCIE L-adapter would do the trick but there isn't such a thing that I've been able to find.

Yes indeed, good thick heavy wire that can carry lots of current without heating up.

Actually the WIRE is of the same guage as is on the standard molex strands, so the wire won't carry any more current, the thickness is caused by the metal mesh sleeving and plastic tubing.