PSU Brands to Avoid!

davidhammock200

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Halvis

yeah sx98... "if your thinking about using a brand of PSU that isn't in this list, CLICK HERE" I like that idea.

Before I bought my SLI-DR I purchased a ThermalTake ToughPower 600W which is Crossfire certified. Now after reading here how they are just crap, I'm starting to notice that. All of a sudden my 3.3V is now at 1.5V! And SpeedFan, Everest and SmartGuardian all show the same thing. I'm guessing the PSU is bad, but I have yet to have any issues. If that's the case, then I'm just going to buy the GamerStreamX600 instead of this POS.

That's what I was thinking, but apparently NewEgg is going to let me return the item for a refund, and I bought the GamerStreamx600 for $128.77 out the door at Monarch Computer. NewEgg has the same PSU for $129.99 including tax and shipping (since I live in CA), so pretty much I didn't lose anything. But know I know, and knowing is half the battle...

*edit*

Here's a link to the PSU:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Powe...W0103/w0103.asp

Does anybody have some data on why Aerocool PSUs suck on DFI boards or suck in general? What have people seen in the past with these PSUs?

Nobody seems to like my PSU, and that is fine except i need some data as to why.

If not the PSU, my board is defective, or possibly GPU.

Both items are past 30 days on zipzoomfly now anyhow~~

I am trying to find a decent PSU from BestBuy that i can return if it turns out not to be my problem

Does anybody have some data on why Aerocool PSUs suck on DFI boards or suck in general? What have people seen in the past with these PSUs?

Before I bought my SLI-DR I purchased a ThermalTake ToughPower 600W which is Crossfire certified. Now after reading here how they are just crap, I'm starting to notice that.

This list is far too generalized, and does folks a disservice. I'm certain that most of the manufacturers on this particular list are perfectly capable of making at least one good power supply. I mean, is it really possible for any manufacturer to design and build a junk power supply every single time? How about vice versa? Do the manufacturers that build what people consider to be good supplies have a 100% success rate with every new model they release? Hopefully folks see what I'm getting at.

This list is much better since it is much more specific, though I'm not sure that it is 100% impartial. Please don't take that, or this post, as an attack as it's not. Just take it at face value. The wisest thing people should really be doing is to read as many reviews as they can get their hands on, as well as try to find comments by people that actually own the specific power supply they are interested in buying. The best performing power supply in the world doesn't mean a thing if it doesn't meet all of a persons needs, like noise, physicial parameters such as dimensions and cables, and so on, and everyone is definitely going to be different in that regard. It's why I myself didn't end up with an OCZ back when I was trying to find just the right one for my needs; the GameXStream didn't exist at the time, although I hear it's kind of noisy so I may still not have purchased one had it been available. What can I say, I'm picky lol. :)

FWIW, I'm still perfectly happy with my Aerocool 620W ZeroDBA. So far the only bad thing about it has been the short warranty period, but since I haven't had to make use of that, the warranty length really hasn't mattered all that much.

Despite having a few negatives each that I dislike, the Enermax 600W Noisetaker and Ultra X2 550W power supplies are both still going strong too... and I still refuse to ever buy another Antec until they clearly improve. The brand may be considered good by a lot of folks, but their quality control definitely isn't lol. ;)

I mean, is it really possible for any manufacturer to design and build a junk power supply every single time?
Ever heard of Deer, they manufacture "known bad" PSU's that are sold under many different names! :rolleyes:

This is DFI-Street.com & our PSU recommendations are based on REAL EXPERENCE with DFI mobos! ;)

Anytime you use something that is not DFI-Street.com Recommended, you are pretty much on your own! :eek:

Dave