X2 Wierdness.. one core runs at load even when idle?

right.. i've run a program called sysinternals process explorer and something is definately up.

Athough task manager shows system idle is at 99%, this program shows it to be at around 60% with the rest taken up with hardware interrupts and Deferred Procedure calls.

So it looks like a hardware conflicting issue no?

Neither of these 'processes' can be stopped, changed or suspended as technically, they don't exist... they have a n/a for the PID.

I'm not sure what could be causing it...

I guess i'm going to have to pull out every add-on card and device I have to check.

is this a known problem?

It sounds like a hardware conflict to me.

I would suggest removing all non-essenatial hardware from your computer. IE: sound card, usb devices, cd-rom, etc. If the problem disapears, put one each peice of hardware back in one a time to see if you can find the curprit device. Once you have, try to find newer drivers or firmware for that device.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take out the Audigy card, in my current build I had to remove it because my computer had weird crashes, etc., which all ceased upon removal of the Audigy card. I had the card in the next to the bottom slot, rather than the bottom slot that many here recommend, so maybe that's it. When I have time I'm going to get that baby to work, but I'd had enough problems for a while. ;)

Yeah... my initial suspicions pointed to the Audigy card too, so your post kind of strengthens my general theory.

maybe the audigy is conflicting with the onboard sound? I have them both installed and enabled, so I guess the first thing I should do is disable the onboard sound in the bios.

right.. i've run a program called sysinternals process explorer and something is definately up.

Athough task manager shows system idle is at 99%, this program shows it to be at around 60% with the rest taken up with hardware interrupts and Deferred Procedure calls.

So it looks like a hardware conflicting issue no?

Neither of these 'processes' can be stopped, changed or suspended as technically, they don't exist... they have a n/a for the PID.

I'm not sure what could be causing it...

I guess i'm going to have to pull out every add-on card and device I have to check.

is this a known problem?

I have seen Hardware interrups problems like that one for devices like infrared ports etc.

disable your ports in the bios,com, ltp.

sometimes if you have a printer problem system take 40 to 100% a esy test is to stop the printer spooler service.

I have exactly the same problem! Didn´t see it before until U told about it... :( I´ll try to find what is causing it, if i discover something i will tell U.

Anyone else? All you X2-processor users!!!

Just out of curiosity do you have your Affinities set for certain apps. If you have a crapload of background processes running on different cores. That can and will cause CPU fluxuations in usage. That was the only way I was able to simulate the issue. After all were done I was idle like normal. What revision of proc do you have? I would try it in another comp to be sure. You may have a bad proc.

hmmm... XT2.5, you know what? we are running the exact same Graphics cards Club3D 7800Gts.... maybe that could be a cause???

could just be a coincidence though?

but like I said, I can't know for sure until my system actually decides to boot.