X2 Wierdness.. one core runs at load even when idle?

Well, you are wrong about mixing ram. Todays memory controllers are a tad more sensitive than when it was a seperate controller. I am also surprised that you have been able to do that with mixed memory especially ocz with corsair as corsair is known to have issues with your board. Do this for the heck of it, go get hci memtest and run it for 8 hours and report back what it says. It is extremely sensitive, more so than prime or boot memtest, and will tell you how that ram is. If you get even 1 error in a few hours, it's a memory issue. http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html set the first one to what it tells you then open a second and use default of all unused ram. I will look for a post, I think this will be interesting. :) Might also benefit you to enable eratta 123 in bios if you have not done so. pretty picture for sig but doesn't quite match forum rules of listing components, could you please do so :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well.. it's working for me anyway atm, but i'll do a more strenuous memtest as short ones reveal no errors.. they are both CH-5 chips, but i'm not too sure what the PCB of either are.

What dual core drivers? I was under the impression that it didn't need one, or are you refering to the CnQ ones?

Yes, I have run virus checks and spyware checkers... both turned out negative apart from a few suspicios cookies deleted.

And no, i'm not confused... idle time is 99 and the 2nd core is running at 80-90% full.

And i'll change the sig.. it's just one that i use on most forums I visit so it was just second nature to bang that in when I joined.

Not that it helps much, but I can verify this phenomenon. I finally gave up trying to track down exactly what was causing CPU usage on my system. I started using Teamspeak when I started playing BF2 a lot, and immediately noticed some in-game lagging. I quit out of BF2, looked at task manager, and saw only System Idle at 99%. But when I looked at the performance tab, my cpu utilization would ramp up and down, up and down, etc. 0% to 15% to 35% and then back down to 0%. But no process activity ever showed up in the processes tab. Only system idle.

I finally think I can attribute this to the combination of a Sennheiser USB headset and Teamspeak. Totally reproduceable but even though cpu utilization went up I could never tie it to any particular process in task manager.

Again, not that it helps, but I've seen something very similar.

@ Jiveturkey.. yeah, mine's like that but instead it it hovers around the 80-90% mark.

Ok.. no fixes yet, but i've run virus scanners again... no virus, trojans etc.

Run 2 spyware and adware programs... nothing found.

Checked to see if it was a rootkit or somebody jacking my computer... nope, as no internet activity and still persists when I remove the USB wireless stick.

Run a prolonged memtest... no errors (ran about 7 hours)

CPU Time list... system idle takes up most of the time, with a couple of others taking up a few seconds worth.

I've also taken a short video (crap camera.. sorry) trying to show you what I see.

here... .avi 5.4MB

I still don't understand where you're seeing 90% usage on core 1 when the idle process has 99% of the cpu. If you really are seeing all that in task manager at the exact same time, then something is seriously wrong with task manager. If you are getting one of those numbers from another ap, then that ap is probably buggy.

I still don't understand where you're seeing 90% usage on core 1 when the idle process has 99% of the cpu. If you really are seeing all that in task manager at the exact same time, then something is seriously wrong with task manager. If you are getting one of those numbers from another ap, then that ap is probably buggy.

If you watch his movie, the first thing he shows you in the processor utilization. The green bars on the left show system was running somewhere around 40-50 from what I could see, and the graph on the right showed the utilization for the second proc up there around 80+%.

that's why I took a video... because people thought i was either making it up or extrememly stupid.

Yes, that is in real time and yes it is windows task manager... installed fresh less than a month ago, checked ad doubled checked for virii, trojans, rootkits, spyware, adware and also memtested to make sure it wasn't my memory at fault, prime tested to make sure my cpu isn't at fault...

it is really a wierd problem...

Nobody had any ideas or know what the problem could be?

Someone said it could be bios related... or even that the CPU itself is broken... any ideas how I would check those (apart from getting another mobo and cpu as I haven't got any spare!0.)

right.. i've run a program called sysinternals process explorer and something is definately up.

Athough task manager shows system idle is at 99%, this program shows it to be at around 60% with the rest taken up with hardware interrupts and Deferred Procedure calls.

So it looks like a hardware conflicting issue no?

Neither of these 'processes' can be stopped, changed or suspended as technically, they don't exist... they have a n/a for the PID.

I'm not sure what could be causing it...

I guess i'm going to have to pull out every add-on card and device I have to check.

is this a known problem?

Sorry I missed the video the first time around (no sleep last night). Your OS is definitely deranged. What have you installed lately?

Instead of pulling the cards, just go into device manager and disable the drivers one by one. That out to be quicker, and you can get the drivers not associated with the cards.