DFI Overclocking Guide - PDF download! (updated - zip + rar)

.... however, the HTT is NOT DDR, it's (for 939's) 200x5 not 200x2. It is both up stream and down stream, which is different from DDR.

The system gets its main frequency from an external clock generator, the HTT and CPU uses this. The memory uses a divider (I did forget the formula) to attain its speed.

I am confused. I read the guide. Now this. Hmm. I don't think I am anywhere closer to understanding the proper use of these terms. I find it difficult to understand people when they throw around the terms of HTT, LDT, DDR, FSB so loosely, that it all starts to make no sense.

Anything below even remotely correct?

HTT is not a multiplier. LDT is.

HTT is the end cpu-to-ram speed.

HTT is NOT a direct setting in BIOS.

HTT = FSB x 2 x LDT

939 should aim at or below 2000 HTT, 754 aim within 1200-1800. Too low or too high of an HTT will make your computer not function.

If you have your "HTT at 310" that is WAY TOO LOW!!! Unless you are trying to say FSB. FSB at 310, ok... However 310 doesn't give you your HTT speed without the multipliers of LDT and CPU.

Divider is in the form of 1:1, 5:4, 9:10.

Questions regarding confusion:

What exactly is it then, the DDR. Where does that fit into any equations? Or is that simply one of those things that make no difference?

Is the DDR reference in the above quote, have anything to do with the DDR that your ram is sold by?

If the HTT for 939 is now: FSB x 5 x LDT ... wouldn't that be blowing way past the 2000 mark at any LDT above 2x?

And what is the result of this function good for:

??? = FSB x CPUmulti / ceil( CPUmulti x (FSB/DRAM ratio) )

This is why I get all confused. The Guide states definitions of things, but then everyone out there uses them differently! So I start to wonder...

Oh, and please don't flame me for just asking some honest questions. I have re-read the guide in this area four or five times and everytime I read the stuff from "Angry", it just confuses the matter, as even in that quote he uses one term for two different things, or throws in the use of HTT where LDT should be, or whatever! AGH! :sad:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I have a question : Why don't you talk more about the chipset limitation in the tutorial ? Some bad chipsets can not support high HTT/FSB and can be an issue in finding the max CPU frequency. The guide should talk about the voltage increase in the chipset as a solution for that limitation.

What you think about that ?

Hello,

I have a question : Why don't you talk more about the chipset limitation in the tutorial ? Some bad chipsets can not support high HTT/FSB and can be an issue in finding the max CPU frequency. The guide should talk about the voltage increase in the chipset as a solution for that limitation.

What you think about that ?

the Lanparty NF3 and NF4 motherboards (ALL NF3 and NF4 chipsets to my knowledge) are capable of tremendously high HTT/FSB speeds

the chipset is not the limitation

the board's bios and design (mainly the traces from memory to cpu) as well as voltage options and stability are all factors that dictate how far a board can put a given set of memory/cpu.

ie: there is simply no limitation in teh chipset...the chipsets are capable of incredible overclocks...what is limiting is the user, his memory, his cpu, and how the board is designed.

also

90% of us have never had to increase the NF3 nor NF4 chipset voltages...this is why it is not talked about.

Thanks Angry :) so far it has been dificult learning curve for me. This is my first DFI system , so for all the great post and reading and comparing results from other I still have great deal to learn. This I trust will make it a bit easier. Thanks, Rob

• 2 weeks later...

This is my system below:

DFI LAN-Party NF4 SLI- D nforce soc 939 bios 6/23/2005

AMD Athlon FX 53

Buffalo select 1024 PC 3200 DDR 400 x2

EVGA Geforce 6800gs 256 GDDR3 video card PCI-e x16

western digital sata 36gig 10k hard drive

maxtor 200gig sata 7200 hard drive

2-Plextor sata dvd burners

550 P/S

six 80mm fans

On-board sound A/C 97

Can you help me configure it the right way?

I am new at this stuff and you are the best...from what I have read...

• 2 weeks later...

My only question is how long a processor will last with the voltage above the spec range.My 4800+ vcore is 1.3to1.35 accourding to amd.Im running at 1.35 at 2.6mhz.It will make it to 2750 with 1.42vcore running idle in windows around 30-32c.Im just scared to run it at a higher voltage.Im a noob to overclocking can anybody tell me what to expect on the life of the processor with over spec voltage.

• 4 weeks later...
My only question is how long a processor will last with the voltage above the spec range.My 4800+ vcore is 1.3to1.35 accourding to amd.Im running at 1.35 at 2.6mhz.It will make it to 2750 with 1.42vcore running idle in windows around 30-32c.Im just scared to run it at a higher voltage.Im a noob to overclocking can anybody tell me what to expect on the life of the processor with over spec voltage.

my only question is if you are asking questions...why have you not bothered to read and follow the rules of this forum?

maybe go get a little familiar with them and then maybe someone will help ya instead of telling ya to read the rules and follow them (like I am doing right now)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wish people didn't try to overclock everything at once picking random speeds they want to achieve. That way they're chasing their own tails since they can't tell if it's the RAM, the CPU or whatever that is causing problems. *sigh*