BIOS Recomendation - Opty 148 + Nf3 Ultra-D

Hi,

I just ordered an Soc. 939 Opty 148 (CABNE 0528 GPMW) and the DFI NF3 Ultra-D motherboard.

Will it boot if I flash it to the latest official DFI Bios? (The CPU is effectively a re-badged FX-57)

I know DFI doesnt officially support them, I was just wondering if anyone else here is using a Soc. 939 Opty on an NF3 board.

Cheers!

This is going to be hit or miss .. with NO guarranty.. !

Ive seen quite a few people using them on NF4 boards without problems.. But I havent seen ANYONE using them on a NF3.. You will be first from my knowledge to try it..

Just remember that its either going to work or not.. and if it doesnt then your on your own.

Where did you purchase from? Would like a 146 myself. it will probably work fine. someone in the sticky thread mentioned they had an opty on an nf3.

I wouldnt flash unless I had problems booting with it. someone over at XS said monarch might have them friday.

Guest ninjastyle

Can I ask why DFI, a motherboard maker for the overclocker / enthusiast, doesn't support the socket 939 Opteron CPU's, one of the most remarkable overclocking chips ever?

Simple enough answer really and posted one time already. Big Dude partner AMD says you will not support server/workstation cpu on desktop enthusiast board and we say ok Big Dude we get it.

RGone...

Can I ask why DFI, a motherboard maker for the overclocker / enthusiast, doesn't support the socket 939 Opteron CPU's, one of the most remarkable overclocking chips ever?

I have been running a 148 on the nF3 Ultra-D for two days and have not encountered any problems. I am currently using the beta 814 BIOS without difficulty. My Venice HATED the latest 824 BIOS; I'll probably give it another shot this weekend with the Opteron. Do not expect DFI support for Opterons. AMD is quite unlikely to condone the use of this chip on non-workstation boards. The Opteron was not design for use on our boards, so doing so will essentially be running it out of spec. But then again, overclocking any chip is running it out of spec!