Best GPU for $300?

src1425

After initially looking at the 6800GT, it was recommended that I look at ATI options for more bang for the buck, specifically the X800XL. I also noticed that even some of the X850XT cards are also getting close to $300. The 7800GT still seems priced around $350 or so, unless I snag a special on NewEgg.

I've found plenty of reviews of individual cards, but not a lot of direct comparisons. Can anyone offer advice or recommendations as to the best card for $300 or so? I'm not a hardcore gamer, mostly strategy games, Madden, or Knights of the Old Republic II, so a bleeding edge card doesn't seem like good value.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here's what I did...

1 - $220 Sapphire X800 GTO2 (which has the same core as X850XTPE)

2 - Benchmark at stock clocks of 400MHz core, 493MHz memory

3 - Unlock pipelines from 12 to 16

4 - Apply liquid cooling and ramsinks

5 - Incrementally overclock core and RAM to stable points (with testing in between)

6 - Leave the speeds of the X850XTPE (a $500+ part) in the dust

7 - Arrive at 590MHz core, 640MHz memory

8 - Benchmark again, kiss your comp

9 - Play games

Reading alot of reviews I would seriously look into the Sapphire X800 GTO2. As Contrariedad mentioned the card kicks butt when unlocked and overclocked (same Core and Ram as the x850xt). Google the card and read up on the mod. Make sure its a x800 GTO2.

Reading alot of reviews I would seriously look into the Sapphire X800 GTO2. As Contrariedad mentioned the card kicks butt when unlocked and overclocked (same Core and Ram as the x850xt). Google the card and read up on the mod. Make sure its a x800 GTO2.

And make sure specifically that it's the *sapphire* GTO2. I've seen reports of one other brand GTO2 doing the same thing but it's not 100% and my impression was that more was involved to mod it.

After initially looking at the 6800GT, it was recommended that I look at ATI options for more bang for the buck, specifically the X800XL. I also noticed that even some of the X850XT cards are also getting close to $300. The 7800GT still seems priced around $350 or so, unless I snag a special on NewEgg.

I've found plenty of reviews of individual cards, but not a lot of direct comparisons. Can anyone offer advice or recommendations as to the best card for $300 or so? I'm not a hardcore gamer, mostly strategy games, Madden, or Knights of the Old Republic II, so a bleeding edge card doesn't seem like good value.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

but with the 7800 your getting a huge leap in performance. evin the GT instead of the GTX(wich is only 4 more pipelines) model will dust anything radion has out right now. so for $350 your accually only really spending 50 more wich is one less trip to the movies(popcorn drinks included) or dinner for 2 or an extra video game or couple DVD's.

save up for another week or whatever and spend the little xtra cash on a 7800 based card. your gonna get almost double the frames than if you got a 6800 based card or equivalent. but if your set on only spending 300 then ya, like everyone says, the Radion beats the 6800 hands down.

but with the 7800 your getting a huge leap in performance. evin the GT instead of the GTX(wich is only 4 more pipelines) model will dust anything radion has out right now. so for $350 your accually only really spending 50 more wich is one less trip to the movies(popcorn drinks included) or dinner for 2 or an extra video game or couple DVD's.

save up for another week or whatever and spend the little xtra cash on a 7800 based card. your gonna get almost double the frames than if you got a 6800 based card or equivalent. but if your set on only spending 300 then ya, like everyone says, the Radion beats the 6800 hands down.

Darn it, I'm a sucker for that "value" argument every time. A 7800 is more GPU than I need (although I imagine it would work wonders for Rome: Total War), but, since I like to configure my PCs for longevity (my last 2 PCs lasted 7 and 5 years, respectively), I certainly wouldn't have to upgrade the GPU for quite some time.

Again, thank you all for your recommendations. The help here really makes DFI a no-brainer, even (I hope) for a rookie builder.