video card for dual monitor

jcy0001

Hi i currently am using sli with 2 6600gt's to run my dell 20"widescreen monitor. i was planning on getting a second 20" monitor. the question is would it be better to run the 2 6600gt's individualy per monitor or would it be better to run a single 7800GT for both monitors?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you planning on for the screens

i believe the above post is correct that the 7800 will outperform 2x 6800gt's

however with 2 screens im not 100%

if u clone the image then u shud lose minimal performance (provided same interface and settings for both screens)

however this is pretty pointless and i bet ure gonna span, so im not 100% shure

u shud notice less performance drop with identical settings on both screens though

Hey guys thanks for the quick reply :) yup gonna definetly span with identical settings on identical monitors :) well ive read all over about the performance on the 7800gt being better than the 6800's on sli but ya i gues im trying to figure out if this is the case with it running 2 monitors as oppose to a 6600gt per monitor :( im thinking if its not much difference to stick with the 6600gt's but if its a big diff to go with the upgrade to a single 7800gt

Hey guys thanks for the quick reply :) yup gonna definetly span with identical settings on identical monitors :) well ive read all over about the performance on the 7800gt being better than the 6800's on sli but ya i gues im trying to figure out if this is the case with it running 2 monitors as oppose to a 6600gt per monitor :( im thinking if its not much difference to stick with the 6600gt's but if its a big diff to go with the upgrade to a single 7800gt

Id prolly try wiv the 7800

I game on one monitor and have temps stats and teamspeak up on the other. I run HL2 and CS:S on max settings, 1280x1024 and 1024x768 with no problems with my 7800gtx. I am not sure about the performance with a spanning or cloning setup, and the fact that you are looking at a 7800gt. But I am pretty sure you will have no problems. I have two different size screens which is why I don't do that. Don't worry about performance unless you are benchmarking, then just disable one of your monitors. Good luck on your decision.

oh i dont really game much but would like to be able to have the game on one and everything else on the other if i do game :) i do a bit of video editing and photoshop tho :)

i noticed you guys have gtx's is it a whole lot better than the GT's?

So w/ my 6600gt running dual moniters, supposedly if I get a second identical card, I would be able to run up to 4 monitors (w/o SLI)? Not sure what I'd do w/ that.. but its an interesting thought. lol

btw, I'd personally be tempted to try the 7800gt, and you can always go back to your dual 6600's if they work better. then you could just, you know, give me the 7800 or something ;)

Edit: the "or something" probably being the finger, but....