OCZ PowerStream Behaving Funny

Hi, folks!

I've got a problem, and a history to that problem.

I started with a Thermaltake 680W PSU, and for about half a year everything was fine. Then, one fine day, the mobo refused to powerup. Before anyone starts asking for the number of diagnostic LEDs aglow, here's the gist: it wouldn't even get to the point where the LEDs would light up. The power button on the mobo was simply dead, the PSU wouldn't come up, and the memory LED was permanently down.

For a whiile, I thought the mobo was at fault, because the PSU would start up fine with a PSU tester. But sending the mobo back to the DFI support didn't help.

Now I've replaced the Thermaltake PSU with an OCZ PowerStream 600W PSU. When I hooked it up and turned the power switch at the back of the PSU, the memory LED on the mobo lit up--hooray! One problem: when I push the power button on the mobo to boot up, the diagnostic LEDs briefly flash up and immediately die down. The PSU does not start up.

But here comes the interesting part. Until now, I've had all four power connectors hooked up: the 24-pin, the P4 4-pin, and the two molex (4-pin and 3-pin). So I unplug the P4 connector, and--lo and behold!--the damn thing powers up. It still doesn't POST, but at least the PSU starts running!

So now, at last, I can tell you about the number of diagnostic LEDs aglow. It's four. Still no POST. But the funny thing is that I have to unplug the P4 connector to even get it to power up. With all four connectors plugged in, it's just dead in the water.

Any ideas?

Leo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Please see this connection guide for thr Powerstream.:http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5661

Make sure you have the P$ and not P4+ connected. They are not interchangable. There is a chance you have a board problem, but let me know about the connections. If you have anothe PSU try that also to see what happens.

Thanks

Please see this connection guide for thr Powerstream.:http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5661

Make sure you have the P$ and not P4+ connected. They are not interchangable. There is a chance you have a board problem, but let me know about the connections. If you have anothe PSU try that also to see what happens.

Thanks, that's a nice guide. :) I did use the connectors as described, though. The 20+4-pin into the 24-pin slot, the P4 (not P4+) into the 4-pin slot. The phenomenon is readily reproducible every time I try: no powerup with both 24-pin and P4, powerup but no POST without P4.

Sadly, I don't have a third PSU to try. Having just bought a second nearly-$200 PSU, I don't feel ready shelling out for a third one just yet. :)

Leo

you may try to plug in the P4 Connector just after starting w/o it...

WOA

i wouldnt do that

u could fry ure cpu easy like that

the surge of plugging the connector into the socket could overload the cpu

plus it wont be running with the 4 pin connector at the time so ... well i dunno how to write it

i just wouldnt do it

if u can try ure psu in another mobo with hte 4 pin connector on it we could narrow it down a bit ...

So now, at last, I can tell you about the number of diagnostic LEDs aglow. It's four. Still no POST. But the funny thing is that I have to unplug the P4 connector to even get it to power up. With all four connectors plugged in, it's just dead in the water

I believe that 4 LEDs lit up means that the board is having a problem detecting the CPU.

Have you tried to re-seat the CPU?

I believe that 4 LEDs lit up means that the board is having a problem detecting the CPU.

Have you tried to re-seat the CPU?

4 leds on mean all is good

gfx card could be ure problem

When this thing happened to me it was the ram ....

Guys, the four LEDs are lit when he does not have the 4pin connector plugged in, which supplies power to the CPU. Thus it does not see the CPU leaving all four lights lit.

And all four lights lit definitely does not mean everything is OK.

For clarity...

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.