Help New Over Clocker Please

Guest SaLadin_SS_merged

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have the same MoBo, similar problem, and 754 threads became rare, I hope you don't mind me posing a question here.

When do you need to up chipset voltage?

I can do 250x8 @vcore1,40 but keep getting errors in superpi with 275x8@even 1.50 ; memory stock at 200 3-3-3-8 2. hht 3x

Temps seem OK. What voltaje should I bump to get stable.

Saladin, did you check the temp of the chipset. At 1,7 mine gets really hot. I know people say this doesn't hold oc too much, but I will not try oc again untill i put a fan on the chipset. Heatsink hot > good thermal transfer > no need to reseat or change it.

Guest SaLadin_SS

My chipset does have an active cooler. It seems to stay at about 27-30c whether at idle or load. the Chip Set Voltage Control = 70. I haven't heard of any one haveing high temps from there ship set.

My CPU VID Control - 1.375

CPU VID Special Control - 126%

which puts me at about 1.78V at load.

this is stable on my system.

I got a long story for you.

After tring to reach 275x8 ; mem set on 150, running at 200MHz, with everything in DRAM setting at auto, except classical 3-3-3-8 (spd on my creapy memory), with no succes, I read the OC guide and realised that the mobo puts those setting at default for 150 MHz. Definitely something my ram can't handle, explaining why pushing up voltage on CPU and chipset and the fan on the latest did not help.

So, using the guide and A64 tweaker to see the settings, I set everything on the most conservative timming. Stability was perfect, but performance lousy (nearly doubled superpi times when running 4M).

Went back to bios and set most things on auto, except tRC, tRFC, tREF and DQS Skew Control (first according to formula, the rest pretty conservative) and the superpi result became appropiate for the level of OC.

I need to find out what settings afect performance most, help will be usefull.

I realised why they say the board was designed to work with premium RAM!

Some other day I will work more on those timmins and keep you up to date.

• 1 month later...
Guest SaLadin_SS

i am very disapointed this thread was not responded too and some what high jack

I hoped we could have done better

Hey S_SS,

sorry can't help you out on the ram direction. Not familiar with those sticks. Maybe you've done some searching here and in the Overclock Database for anyone using the Corsair?

Another possibility is your psu is getting stretched thin at this point. What are the amperage ratings on it, especially the 12v?

One other possibility is the cpu is a weak one. You have certainly pumped some volts to it so far though.

Guest SaLadin_SS

you maybe right

my biggest question is well i havent really seen any improvement in my 3D based benchmarks by raising the FSB to as high as 280.

Since gaming is my primary function that were im hoping for improvements. now in PCmark04 i have seen good improvements with the higher FSB, but 3dmark03-05 have suffered for it.

so what is working against me here?

are your guys getting similar results?

this ram is working fine and although i havent tried to hit 300 with it i am some what optimistic i would with loosing the times and getting the voltage right. the CPU really doest like anything past 2530 even when you lower the ram down to 166 with looser timming.

anyway any thoughts are helpful

my biggest question is well i havent really seen any improvement in my 3D based benchmarks by raising the FSB to as high as 280.
The bandwidth gains don't really buy you anything as you can see. Proc speed is paramount.

Maybe some of the 3d bench jockeys will chime in. If you take a look at the OC Database postings you'll get a better idea of that. Not sure why the upper bandwidth levels seem to decrease your 3d scores though at the same proc speeds. :confused:

Guest SaLadin_SS

that what i found curious as well

but maybe some one will shine some light on this for me..

thx for responding though Scott its apreciated