Help New Over Clocker Please

Guest SaLadin_SS_merged

Guest SaLadin_SS

Hello to every one on DFI streets.

I am new to DFI and over clocking.

I have a very similar set up to OMGA 14 in the over clocking database.

So in turn I have pretty much copied his bios and bios entries.

One difference however is my CPU. It is the 64 3200 @ 2.2(Newcastle) as opposed to OMGA14 3400 2.2 (Newcastle)

I have realized that the 2.2 is the same but the multiplier on the 3200 seems to be 11 while the 3400 is 12?

So if I use the same fsb of 219 I seem to end up with a lower speed. I have moved the fsb up to 224 resulting in 2434mhz is stead of OMGA's 2623mhz @219fsb(12 multiplier)

Now it seems to run well so fare but if I keep pushing it north it becomes unstable.

Since I am so knew to this (but would like to learn) I am sure despite my best effort to read these forums and over clocking guides I am missing this that I need to adjust in conjunction with the fsb. But to be honest I am some what worried as the setting seems to be pretty high already? Or with these setting on my system and I at the outer limits?

And additional info you need just let me know and any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Street fellow Minne dweller!

You should spend some time reading this: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...167&postcount=3

In particular you definitely should be testing your memory with memtest as you overclock prior to going into windows or you are asking for corruption of your os install. There is excellent info and a link in the thread I posted above. Keep in mind what works on one system similar doesn't always work exactly the same on another even when it appears you have virtually identical components. It can be helpful but don't depend on it.

BTW the 3400 is 12x200 for 2400Mhz.

You will need to raise voltages to you cpu and possibly ram but you really need to do some reading and a lot of testing since this is new to you.

Guest SaLadin_SS

Sounds good and thx for responding.

The only bench mark program i have is 3Dmark03, which i ran and scored 7168. that better then my old system but i am not sure if its good. Looks like ill need to get more if i intend to get the most from this venture.

I am currently running the mem test on the system as i am typing this (its been 1 hour 50mins....do this test ever end.....lol) 5022 Errors though. I am sure that is not good....lol

but i has been booting into windows and i have loaded mostly all my software and played some games as well with out any crashing(but with so many mem test errors i am sure it would have) I am going to review the link you gave. I am sure it will take some times to do so but its alot of information to make sence of. These boards seem to have so many setting and options its scary right now to me.....lol

Curious do you think i aught to increase voltage then test again or simply lower the clock values? the stuff seems so high already i am some what nervous to just increase voltage......lolbut then thats why we are here i suppose to go north....not south.

Memtest will run forever. I'd only run that for an hour or so (if that) and move on to a better test within windows, like the one you have, and more. It really isn't a very good test, but it is a quick and easy thing you can check before entering windows. You need to read the overclocking guides. Find your max HTT, max CPU, and max memory seperate, then use your math skills to find the magic combo of HTT, cpu multi, and ram divider (if needed) to hit the sweet spot of your ram and cpu together. It takes alot of patience. Read Read Read, then Try Try Try. Repeat until satisfied. All those errors in memtest is not good. Do a search on your ram here, and find what others are using for voltage. Same with your cpu. I'd bump this up a little before anything, but that's me. Watch your temps of course.

Just checking out your post and figured I would pop in as we also have very similar setups and I may be able to give you a hand getting that rig set up and haulin. First things first. Every system is a little different, even with the same components. I have two of the exact same boards, but if I move all the parts from one board to another it takes two slightly different setups. They both OC at the same level but one seems to get there a little easier... Read up on the terminology and get familiar with your bios options.

Stability is crucial.. You must find a stable error free baseline (memtest for a couple of hours and Prime95 for 8 hours), Once you establish that it is stable at stock speeds more or less, take your time and do not just go in and start punching in numbers. Change a setting or two and see how the machine reacts. This is where benchmarks come in, not for comparing with other peoples but seeing if you made an improvement in your rig. If you want to get ahold of me use the email link by clicking on my username and my MSN mess is the same..

No errors in memtest are a good thing not withstanding the comment above regarding memtest not being a good program. It is a boring but important part of a stable overclock. You will find a section in the link devoted to a reasonable approach to using it to verify your memory timings are not producing errors.

You need to back down to a speed that doesn't produce errors, bump the voltage, or change your timings to eliminate errors or some combination of these. Errors don't always lead to an immediate crash/BSOD. Rather they can in a sense accumulate until the install gets too corrupted and no boot into windows.

Guest SaLadin_SS

LOL now we are getting some where

Like mem will run forever...lol i was starting to wonder...ok this can't go this long?.....lol

i have added you(cpdmf) to my MSN [email protected] is mine

ok first thing is where can i aquire these other bench mark programs?

I think starting from scratch is gonna clearly be the best position(but i sure was hoping i could just plug in those number and be lucky for once in my life....lol)

Also talking to CPDMF on MSN i am sure will be a big help formaybe soem real time assistance (i have other systems running)

Guest SaLadin_SS

ok well i have downloaded the testing software and i have cleared the CMOS. I am reviewing the above mentioned links for directions and suggestions.

I will keep you posted as to my results. Feel free to add me to you MSN so maybe i can get some imput in real time

Again thx a million to every one who has responded and will respond with more information in the future!

Guest SaLadin_SS

Ok I see some apparent limitations already with my CPU cooling. When I installed and ran Prime95, shortly there after my temps increased to warning levels: (

So I shut the test down. That was at 227fsb 4ldt and cpu/fsb ratio @12(but does this really matter is my CPU is set to 11? and voltage at 1.40

Also I have set my dram to 200/1:1 and

CPC- Enabled (1T)

Cas- 2

tRCD- 3

tRP- 2

tRAS- 8

Every thing else is on auto and d ram voltage at 3.40

I didn't error after an hour in memtest with these values, but if I just move the tras to value 2 it errors after about 2 mins into memtest

(i made a pass in 3d mark prior to prime95 and my score was 7100, just slightly down from previous score)

Moving back to the CPU cooler. I purchased this one from Extremegear, SubZero 64 Triple but it evidently sux. I am now looking at the Cooler master Hyper6 KHC-V81-U1 Copper K8/P4 Heat sink

Or

The Thermaltake Big Water SE 12cm Liquid Cooling System

Any thought on this solution?