nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

Looking at selling my Lanparty SLI-DR to a flatmate, as he intends to use SLI, and I'm going to go the crossfire way (got x1900XTX en route via courier as I type).

Right now I'm running the rig in my sig (plus a HDD or two, nothing major).

He's got a very similar rig, but running a 7800gt, and looking at getting a second one soon. Right now he doesn't have an SLI board, hence my selling him mine.

/edit - for reference, he's running a 3000+ Venice, planning 2gb generic ram, MSI 7800gt, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA's, Pioneer DVR-108 DVD-RW Drive

My question is this:

He intends to run the most generic crappy ram you can buy. Why? Because he's a bit of a cheap guy, and already has 1x1Gb stick of it.

Pretty certain the stuff is Legend, cant be sure though, as it has no markings. Can be found Here

Would it work at all? (We could always try it, I know, but that would require multiple bios flashes, and would be a bigger hassle than a basic yay or nay - and right now he doesn't have the second 1gb stick).

Any help would be wicked. Anyone had much luck with generic ram? (couldn't turn up much through the forum search).

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

You will have to try it but with the cheap modules they tend to use different chips.

How long ago did he purchase his current one?

(that's why you should buy at the same time or get a dual channel kit)

Thanks for that,

I figured as much. He purchased the other 1Gb stick like a week ago, and those guys (supercheappc) although their website is a generic piece of .... always have a ton of stock on hand, so it should be from the same bin. But who's to know anyway, when it's generic and unlabelled. Lol.

Keep in mind that WinXP 32bit won't recognize more than 3GB. AFAIK Xp 64bit, Vista, and Linux don't have that problem.

There are some good writeups on Tom's about timings vs fsb. Worth reading if you're considering going down either road.

Could anyone please reccomend some ram for me...I know I want 2x1GB of ram for my Opteron 170 and DFI nf4 SLI motherboard. I plan to OC the Opteron to around 2.5-2.7GHz. This computer will be used for mainley playing high end games and I just wanted to know If I should get PC 3200 or PC 4000 ram and if so can you suggest any type in paticular? I was looking at OCZ gold series ram but am unsure if that is the best for the money. Thanks.

Could anyone please reccomend some ram for me...I know I want 2x1GB of ram for my Opteron 170 and DFI nf4 SLI motherboard. I plan to OC the Opteron to around 2.5-2.7GHz. This computer will be used for mainley playing high end games and I just wanted to know If I should get PC 3200 or PC 4000 ram and if so can you suggest any type in paticular? I was looking at OCZ gold series ram but am unsure if that is the best for the money. Thanks.

lmao, its even labeled as generic ram. thats a flippin ripoff, but thats your decision. seriously though, where do u live? lol..

as for kozzmozmo, i personally would get

OCZ XTC PC4000 2x1gb set or

GSKILL HZ PC4000 2x1gb set

or some of that mushkin pc4000 stuff from the egg. pc4000=for overclockers. anything over pc3200 means u have to oc the proc. golds are good stuff :P

i listed those due to the fact they use samsung uccc chips.. what sharp has listed use infineon chips, but those do fine too. timings arent as important on a64 systems. its why i dont give a damn when i buy memory about the timings- 3-3-4-8 is fine in my book if it gets me rly far on ocing.

I'm also getting an Amd opteron 170. And ofcourse I'll overclock it till it burns. :nod: I'm deciding to get one of these two : Ocz Plat pc 4000 @ 3-3-2-8. Or G.Skill Pc4000 @ 3-3-2-8. Which one is better? Or are there better memory sticks out there for this price? I forgot to mention that the motherboard is Dfi-Ultra-D

Hello,

The OCZ one is the one to go for. :)

And they've got support reps here, thats a big plus on them guys.

Hey Sharp, just a quick ?. I just added a couple more sticks of Ballistix on system and that makes it 4GB. System is only used for gaming, will I get a considerabl performance increase with the 4GB? Tested all four of them at @265 with memtest and no errors for more than 8hrs. :D

i all, got a opteron 144 @ 2.93ghz on my lanparty sli-dr expert

325mhz HTT and my no-name ram is at 225mhz DDR (450) at 2.6 volts - wont go any higher

I am going 2GB of ram - 2 OCZ kits are on special. (I live in Canada so NCIX.com is the best bet)

which one is better for higher FSB and how well do they work on the Lanparty SLI-DR expert? I need it to run at 250mhz+ -> I dont care about voltage I want stability and high speeds - lower CAS at higher speeds is a bonus. is the GX XTC worth the 25$ over the EL?

1) OCZ EL Gold GX XTC PC4000 2GB 2X1GB DDR500 CL3-4-3-8 184PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit for 225$ cdn AFTER REBATE ( Part #: OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17771

2) OCZ Gold EL PC4000 2GB 2X1GB DDR500 CL3-4-4-8 184PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit W/ Ramsink FOR 199$ Cdn AFTER REBATE (Part #: OCZ5002048ELGE-K)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index....gy&promoid=1051