nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

I'd agree with chubbyfatazn's suggestions for the most part - the Mushkin are way overpriced imo tho. And as I pointed out before, I would go directly for 2GB. No point wasting money (ie if you invest in 2GB now you will be saving in the long run as you would be paying for 1GB now and then again later for 2GB).

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My current configuration:

Antec SX1000II VAR Series ATX Mid Tower

ASPIRE ATX-AS520W

ASUS P4S800-MX 661FX Socket478 800FSB

Intel Celeron 2.53GHz 256K Cache 533MHz

OCZ 2gb (2x1gb) OCZ4002048V3DC-K PC-3200 Dual Channel

Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP 8x

I am upgrading to a AMD X2 and I am considering the DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity or the Lan Party UT NForce4 Ultra-D (I'm not still trying to figure out what the major differences between the two are--aside from price). I need to know whether I can reuse my PSU and/or memory. From what I've read in the PSU thread, I will probably need another one. Would this work?

I'd agree with chubbyfatazn's suggestions for the most part - the Mushkin are way overpriced imo tho. And as I pointed out before, I would go directly for 2GB. No point wasting money (ie if you invest in 2GB now you will be saving in the long run as you would be paying for 1GB now and then again later for 2GB).

mushkins are cheaper on outposts website.. i think some dude posted it as a price of 160ish

but im not goingmushkin

and yes take the plunge and go for the 2gb. ur more futureproof plus vista will run a lot smoother (and faster) if u do decide to install it.

My current configuration:

Antec SX1000II VAR Series ATX Mid Tower

ASPIRE ATX-AS520W

ASUS P4S800-MX 661FX Socket478 800FSB

Intel Celeron 2.53GHz 256K Cache 533MHz

OCZ 2gb (2x1gb) OCZ4002048V3DC-K PC-3200 Dual Channel

Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP 8x

I am upgrading to a AMD X2 and I am considering the DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity or the Lan Party UT NForce4 Ultra-D (I'm not still trying to figure out what the major differences between the two are--aside from price). I need to know whether I can reuse my PSU and/or memory. From what I've read in the PSU thread, I will probably need another one. Would this work?

im assuming that you're on a budget seeing your components..

first off, the lp is more enthusiast-orientated. im guessing it has more bios features... not sure bout this.

dont buy cheap psus. aspires are dirt-cheap-- like they said, it probably doesnt work well. the enermax ones should work pretty well-- ive heard good things about them.

and on the mobo--since your on a budget, im also assuming u dont wanna oc.. correct? if you are you might take a gander at different memory--there are some 2gb kits at outpost.com oriented for ocers/enthusiasts.

otherwise, its ur joe schmo ram.

EDIT there is a 2gb set of gskill ram (good ram!) on the egg for 150 bucks.. and its enthusiast orientated... go for that instead :D

ok.. i still would go for crucial, but thats my opinion...

im assuming since you called yourself a noob you dont wanna oc yet... do u want the option to later? anyways either way i would go

for some G.SKILL 2x512mb Ram (all s work)

or g.skill 2x1gb Ram (more ram)

OCZ XTC PC4000 mem (they use samsung uccc chips)

Mushkin Extremes (PC4000)

All of these work fine and dandy. for one gb, definitely go for the gskill ram, any will work. all of the ram here uses uccc chips (cept fo r 2x512, they use the better tccd), so if u wanna oc, these are the ones to get.

i think g.skill sounds good....can u point out a good RAM of g.skill from newegg, that is under about $115 ??

guess my post didnt appear. actually, not first off, everything with a colored piece of crap on top of a pcb is a heatspreader. if u see the chips, it doesnt have a heatspreader. vice versa.

newegg has a special on 2gb pc4000 ram: 146 dollars. best gskillies u could buy, especially at that price. look it up ont he egg.

Hello Everyone !

I would like to say this is my first posting here and I hope to find all the info one could ever find in any forum anywhere !!

I'm in the process of building a new system and this is my first Board from DFI. I have read the recomendations for sticks of dimms in the forum and still would like some help as to a good to best choice. Will be doing mostly video editing and such but want to be able to jump on a good game once in awhile . The OCZ Gold sounds wonderful and so does the G-Skill . Would hope to leave today with a done deal! Thanks again for any and all help and advice !

First off, welcome to the Street.

to answer your question, people have had good results with the gskill (more ppl seem to buy that more than every, there is an hz kit (2x1gb pc4000) on sale at the egg)

the ocz is a good contender too; if you want to oc (dont know, you didnt specify), i would recommend

the gskill hz kit, 2x1gb pc4000, since it uses uccc chips

ocz xtc pc4000 2x1gb, also uses uccc

i heard that the mushkin 1gb pc4000 sticks also use uccc

generally, anything with samsung should have good, if not excellent oc capabilities.

the kits listed above seem to be one of the most common sticks bought.. gskillies, then ocz.. generally thats what ppl buy.

DFI Lanparty UT nf4 SLI-DR Venus(BIOS N/A)

AMD FX60 Toledo 1GHz HT 2x1MB L2 Cache

2xWD-Raptor 150GB-10,000RPB 16MB Cache

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW 1000W

Thermaltake Super Tower (Armor) VA8000BWS

(Still Building)

damn nice computer...

hows that 1kw psu doing? XD it must have cost a fortune.. damn nice computer, congrats.

Hi Chubbyfatazn !

YeH!

Can't wait till it's up and walking or running!!! Will do alittle oc but more in to video than anything. Will probably go with the Gskill I saw that newegg had a deal

may jump on it . Just wish I could stick 4 sticks in and stay with the 400 spd but thats ok still will run great. Thanks very much for the words Hope to return the same soon ! The 1KW is super tooo!!!! Can cook up some grub in between breaks.