nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

well, i have read the guide at the start of this thread....and found out the crucial ballistix is no longer recommended...(that was my previous choice)....i have gathered that i need with one of the following:

Winbond UTT BH-5 / Winbond UTT CH-5 / Samsung TCCD/TCC5

since i am gonna OC for the first time now, i am not sure which one to go for....

i am also not sure which memory to go for now that i cant get crucial...

need help on both of these Qs...

my limitation regarding the RAM is: it shud be 2x512MB, and not more that $120 altogether...

tccd (tcc5 is just a variant that wont clock as high as tccd, their tested and binned according to speed) is the best.

crucial is recommended (by me), just not the pc4000 variants. i think. id pick some 2x512mb ballistix (pc3200) if i were you for 110 at the egg. another thing is gskill. gskill uses ONLY samsung tccd, so any 2x512 config from them will work. another should be the pc4000 variant of ocz's xtc series. i would recommend those.

crucial-2x512mb pc3200 for 110

gskill-anything goes, their cheap too

ocz-pc4000 xtc variants, i think, check with me on these

i picked up the pc4000 because: 1) its good, 2) u cant find them anymore, 3) its pc4000 ballistix.

i was a corsair type of dude, but after i read about crucial, i went with them.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ballistix PC4000 2GB are awesome IF you get a kit from a batch that doesn't sport the bad batch of IC's... (Sure, they're not being sold anymore but if you can get your hands on a kit they kick butt).

G.Skill are on par from what I have seen so far - I doubt if they will OC as well as the Ballistix but they are on par with the the Ballistix timings up to 260-270MHz (3-3-3-5 or 3-3-2-5).

I tried the OCZ Gold EB PC4000 2GB Kit and I would def go for G.Skill over OCZ! Without going into too much detail, the OCZ are not very good at keeping tight timings.

And I would go directly for a 2GB kit - no point spending ~100 if you can get 2GB for ~80 more. Going that route you would also futureproof your system.

The Ballistix PC4000 2GB are awesome IF you get a kit from a batch that doesn't sport the bad batch of IC's... (Sure, they're not being sold anymore but if you can get your hands on a kit they kick butt).

G.Skill are on par from what I have seen so far - I doubt if they will OC as well as the Ballistix but they are on par with the the Ballistix timings up to 260-270MHz (3-3-3-5 or 3-3-2-5).

I tried the OCZ Gold EB PC4000 2GB Kit and I would def go for G.Skill over OCZ! Without going into too much detail, the OCZ are not very good at keeping tight timings.

And I would go directly for a 2GB kit - no point spending ~100 if you can get 2GB for ~80 more. Going that route you would also futureproof your system.

i can bet that nothing will come close to micron chips.. uccc and all others probly cant do that. i bet that no pc4000 can run at ddr400 at 2-2-2-5 settings like my ballstix did

i can bet that nothing will come close to micron chips.. uccc and all others probly cant do that. i bet that no pc4000 can run at ddr400 at 2-2-2-5 settings like my ballstix did

Agreed :D

PS: Team Cronus sports the new Micron F-Die IC's and is supposed to fill in the gap the Ballistix left behind.

but how come people all over the internet are crying about the ballistix failing ?? also, in the memory recommendation right here, it says that crucial is no longer recommended ??

how does this fit into the theory ?

but how come people all over the internet are crying about the ballistix failing ?? also, in the memory recommendation right here, it says that crucial is no longer recommended ??

Not a theory, Fact.

whats there not to get? the ballistix does have a high rate of failure.. thats why their not recommended. that didnt sway me from picking up the last sticks from the egg. tho :D

and for the xtc's, it depends on your needs.. that should work just fine

but if it was me, i wouldnt.. i think those use infineon chips and since i oc i wouldnt pick those up.. but like i said it depends on ur needs

but in general those should be just dandy.

hmm...ok. since i am building a PC for the first time, i dont think i need any unwanted surprises from crucial...so i think crucial is out of my hitlist (at least for the time being)...so whats next ? i have heard several other good companies, like OCZ, mushkin and g.skill, basically....which is better from theses for a newbie at PC building ??

btw, thanx for the help guys...really appreciate it..

hmm...ok. since i am building a PC for the first time, i dont think i need any unwanted surprises from crucial...so i think crucial is out of my hitlist (at least for the time being)...so whats next ? i have heard several other good companies, like OCZ, mushkin and g.skill, basically....which is better from theses for a newbie at PC building ??

btw, thanx for the help guys...really appreciate it..

ok.. i still would go for crucial, but thats my opinion...

im assuming since you called yourself a noob you dont wanna oc yet... do u want the option to later? anyways either way i would go

for some G.SKILL 2x512mb Ram (all s work)

or g.skill 2x1gb Ram (more ram)

OCZ XTC PC4000 mem (they use samsung uccc chips)

Mushkin Extremes (PC4000)

All of these work fine and dandy. for one gb, definitely go for the gskill ram, any will work. all of the ram here uses uccc chips (cept fo r 2x512, they use the better tccd), so if u wanna oc, these are the ones to get.