nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hy everyone!!

look, i bought my sytem in september 2005..

i got dfi nf4 sli-dr

a64 3700+ SD

4x512mb pc4000 vx gold edition ocz

geforce xfx 7800gtx oced

now, im having trouble cause im not reaching the 500ddr(i know tha with 4 sticks i cannot reach the full 500, but closer)

on programs like everest, ntune, it says that my memories are running at pc2700..

what can i do to get the best performance without risk

my bios is 7/04b(somehing like that)

the support of ocz tried to help me ut but with no success.....

and i cant put the 3.3v on the bios for the memmory, is only up to 3.2v...

please, can anyone put it down to me, how do i handle with it.

im a completly newbie with bios and oc, but you guys are the best, so,,if anyon eput a step-by-step for me...i aprecciate a lot!!!

thank you very much!!

p.s. it is all on auto.. default

FYI: http://www.tankguys.biz/team-xtreem-cronus...ron-p-1542.html

These are supposed to fill the gap that Crucial leaves behind abandoning their Ballistix line and feature the new Micron 5B-F chips.

A serious consideration for the front page, sharp, as these are pretty much guaranteed to work with DFI LP NF4 boards: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89193

EDIT: The Micron 5B-F chips are the same ones Crucial Ballistix uses on their newest batches (which of course you can't get ahold unless you RMA your old ones).

Hi,

I'm looking to build a new system and am probably not going to overclock, but I was considering getting better ram in case I do want to overclock later.

I want the 2x1GB RAM for gaming, and was wondering which of these would be best with my configuration:

DFI Expert board

Either AMD 64 X2 ??00 or FX?? or Opteron 148? (not sure yet which to get)

OCZ PC4000 Gold GX 2x1GB OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K

G.SKill PC4000 Extreme Series 2x1GB F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ

OCZ PC3200 2x1GB OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

If I were to decide not to ever overclock, which of the above memory would be best?

Are the timings most important if not overclocking?

Can I get the 2-3-2-5 or better timings with the PC4000 memory if I don't overclock?

Would the PC4000 memory be better if I do not overclock?

Is one of options above best for both overclocking and not overclocking?

Also, I see that some people get the Opteron 148 up to 3GHz speeds. Is this possible with standard air cooling? Is this better then an X2 or FX processor at stock or similar speeds? Should I just get an Opteron 148 or something else cheap and overclock? I would want to just use standard air cooling...what results could I expect with stock air cooling?

Is it possible to get the PC4000 memory and just speed up the memory timings? Is that worth it if I don't speed up the CPU?

Lots of questions, thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Crow69

PS. I'm just a bit concerned with overclocking yet, as i'm new at this, and don't want to burnout a cpu, memory, or anything else, but i'm intrigued by this too.

Crow69, obviously you have done your research - those three kits you listed are the same ones I am taking into consideration. Frankly I can't justify spending $300-$400 on RAM for a questionable increase in performance.

The OCZ Gold PC4000 gets my vote - the price is nearly unbeatable, the name OCZ just about guarantees reliability and the fact it's PC4000 will give you some headroom in case you do decide to overclock.

OCZ Gold Edition PC 4000 3-4-3-8 UCCC chips?

$179.33 after Mail-In Rebate

I will try and answer some of those questions:

If I were to decide not to ever overclock, which of the above memory would be best? Anything with low timings. Keep in mind that you will likely be able to lower the timings when running PC4000 below spec.

Are the timings most important if not overclocking? Timings do give you a significant boost. But even so MHz is king over low timings.

Can I get the 2-3-2-5 or better timings with the PC4000 memory if I don't overclock? Maybe.

Would the PC4000 memory be better if I do not overclock? No. But not bad either.

Is one of options above best for both overclocking and not overclocking? Not really.

Also, I see that some people get the Opteron 148 up to 3GHz speeds. Is this possible with standard air cooling? Is this better then an X2 or FX processor at stock or similar speeds? Should I just get an Opteron 148 or something else cheap and overclock? I would want to just use standard air cooling...what results could I expect with stock air cooling? There's tonsa of guides all across the web. Try googling! This will give some basic solid info.

Is it possible to get the PC4000 memory and just speed up the memory timings? Is that worth it if I don't speed up the CPU? Absolutely, yes. Although there's no guarantee that you can achieve 2-2-2-5.

thats a nice guide

the only thing i liked to say is that the crucial ballistix 3200 needs 2,8 V and not 2,6 V! i didnt get them running with 2,6 V! but doesnt matter i have gskill 2gbzx now

greetz