Help! Please!

DevilMB3017

Well, my CD-ROM isn't working. Lemme explain is in full detail...Also, I checked the easy answers such as cable and power. I also checked BIOS, and the CD-ROM is found.

Now for the strange part...

My CD-RW is installed according to Windows, and its working properly, say Windows says. I open My Computer with a CD in the drive, and it won't read it, audio nor data. So, I open up the device manager and its header is missing. (The thing where you hit the plus sign, that says the type of device). Ok, whatever I say. It's there thou. So, I open up the properites, and guess what! It doesn't have a device type.

So, windows knows it's there, but can't do nothin with it! ARGH!

I even uninstalled it and reinstalled, etc. I updated the IDE controller drivers and everything.

HELP!

No, I don't have another drive I could check. I think I might end up and go buy a new one. Oddly, I can boot from CD.

BIOS does detect the drive during POST, and the jumpers are 100% correct. I think I might try it as a slave later today.

I finally have come to except that I either have a virus (checkin right now), or it's just dead firmware.

No, I don't have another drive I could check. I think I might end up and go buy a new one. Oddly, I can boot from CD.

BIOS does detect the drive during POST, and the jumpers are 100% correct. I think I might try it as a slave later today.

I finally have come to except that I either have a virus (checkin right now), or it's just dead firmware.

i'm not sure the bios would detect it if that was the case...try moving it to different channels and different positions on the channel.

I'm gonna try a different channel next...

But look at this...

No device type?! what the heck? See what I mean now? The computer knows its there, but not what it can do. Sounds like a firmware problem more and more...