Access Lower Multipliers With A7n8x And 2400+

cargo

Hi everyone, im having some problems with my asus A7N8X mobo since i cannot boot with any multiplier lower than 13x.

Im running bios version 1001.C (or G) and i have (probably) PCB revision below 2.0, any thoughts?

On other forums i've read that you need to connect something (physically) on you cpu, to switch from low to high multiplier set.

Thanks!

/Cargo

if u want to unlock ur processor u have to be willing to possibly tear up ur cpu.

heres a guide on telling u how to do it.

http://www.ocaddiction.com/articles/howto/...nlock/pg2.shtml

u will need a few things.

clear tape

sharp knife

white thermal paste

rear window repair kit

needle (big saftey pin will work, not a sewing needle)

time

some sort of pop.

good luck, tell us how it goes if u decide to do it.

yeah, flash your bios. not all of your lower multipliers will work (you will be able to select any multiplier listed but you might not get the actual multiplier you were hoping for.

if you are choosing lower multipliers you might have a shot at 11x. you'll have no shot at 9.0x, 8.5x, 8.0x or 7.0x. all of those will default to the higher multipliers. 17.0x, 16.5x, 16.0x and 15.0x respectively.

i'm not sure how high the a7n8x allows the multipliers to go. if they only go to 18.5x then you will have a shot at the 11.0x, 11.5x, 12.0x, and 12.5x multipliers. if the a7n8x allows upto a multiple of 20.5x, then i don't think you'll have a chance at reaching any of the lower multipliers without doing some physical modification to your processor or your socket (whichever you prefer).

i know that this is true: processor that have access to the higher multipliers and processor that have access to the higher multipliers. i posted about this earlier in the forums. here is what you will see in your bios.

13.0x

13.5x

14.0x

6.5x

7.0x/15.0x

7.5x

8.0x/16.0x

8.5x/16.5x

9.0x/17.0x

9.5x

10.0x

10.5x

11.0x

11.5x

12.0x

12.5x

and here are the actual multipliers you will get when you select these options (depending on which bridges are connect on your processor).

13.0x/5.0x

13.5x/5.5x

14.0x/6.0x

6.5x

7.0x/15.0x

7.5x

8.0x/16.0x

8.5x/16.5x

9.0x/17.0x

9.5x/17.5x

10.0x/18.0x

10.5x/18.5x

11.0x/19.0x

11.5x/19.5x

12.0x/20.0x

12.5x/20.5x

i know for a fact that you will get the green ones when you select a multiplier (since your processor only has access to the higher multipliers). i don't recall, however, if 9.5x through 12.5x have higher multipliers associated with them. if they do, they will be the multiplers shown in blue. i'm not sure if they will work. the way i made my 2400+ access lower multipliers before the 1002 bios update came out was by doing the wire trick(this unlocked the lower multipliers. didn't matter if your processor orignially was only able to access higher multipliers or lower ones.) i remember that i didn't like not being able to reach a 13x multiplier after sometime though, and then there were posts about the a7n8x being able to unlock your processor. it didn't work for me until i flashed my bios to 1002. after that i was set. i do remember the lower multipliers working at some point, but i don't remember if they worked only when i did the wire trick, or if they a few also worked after i flashed my bios. if you flash your bios, please post back and let us know what happens when you select 9.5x through 12.5x. gl to ya

thanks for responses guys! :)

i'll flash bios and check revision etc when i get home today, i'll report how it turned out...

cheers :)

[update]

got home, updated to latest bios (1004) and tested it again.

I got the following results with FSB 100:

Multiplier 7.5 -> Booted with actual mutliplier 22.5x, three times as much (2.23Ghz with 100Mhz FSB)

Multiplier 9.5 -> Booted with actual multiplier 18x, two times as much (1.8Ghz with 100Mhz FSB)

I don't have time to check them all, ill get back... but, isn't this strange!? Seems like i have to connect that bridge after all....

/Cargo

Edited by cargo

yep looks like you'll have to modify your either your cpu or socket. and looks like not all the high multipliers on the a7n8x are predictable. (they don't always change by .5x) thanks for the post. very informative.