RAM and overclocking:

fst h2o

I'm sorry if this is a completely noob question, but I am a complete noob so here it is.

As I understand it, RAM is also a factor in overclocking, and you need to get your RAM running at the same frequency as your CPU before the multiplier to get the best results (eg. If you are running your CPU at 250MHz, then you'd need your RAM running at DDR500).

If I were to buy OCZ Gold VX DDR 500 I would initially be running at 250MHz at stock, and would this would take the RAM out of the equation in overclocking to 250MHz on the CPU?

Now, by overclocking the RAM some, you can also raise the CPU above 250 as well, and brings another level of complication to overclocking. Which would be much like starting with OCZ Gold DDR400 and overclocking up to 250MHz?

I guess I'm wondering since I'm a noob if it would be best to buy a higher frequency RAM to minimize the effect it has on my OC, or if I'm completely wrong in my thinking.

Thanks in advance.

-Brad

If you want the guaranteed speed out of your RAM, go for the stuff that's rated for the speed you want. Keep in mind though that, depending on how good the mem controller on your particular CPU is and how good an overclocker it is, you still may not be able to run the RAM and CPU 1:1 at higher speeds. Otherwise, you can do your homework and get some RAM that is rated lower but has a good chance of overclocking higher. Then there are the dividers that will allow you to overclock your CPU independently of your RAM.

getting a higher rated memory doesn't mean that it will run DDR500 when u plug it in.. u will have to raise your HTT to match the ram speed (if you're running 1:1 for example)

u will start at ddr400 and working up to ddr500 and when u're at ddr500 u reach the stock speed of your modules (if you got the DDR500 pair of memory)

if u decide to go for DDR400 modules instead.. it is not guaranteed to work at ddr500 and you might or might not get ddr500..

it's not something you learn in one day.. but you with me until now?

I think I understand what you're saying. The RAM will run at your HTT speed if you are not using a divider (if the RAM can handle those speeds), and if you have RAM rated at DDR500, it should be able to keep pace with at least to an HTT up to 250 (if your CPU will run that high)?

Thanks,

Brad

Your right. DDR500 ram will do HTT 200 to start with. It should be able to do 250Mhz, but youve got to set it in bios yourself. No divider (1:1) Ram Mhz = HTT.

The CPU will be able to do HTT 250, the only question is on wheter it will run that HTT on your CPU's max multi. If not you can either choose to go for max CPU mhz using the highest multi and lower the HTT, or run the multi that will do your max ram speed.