X800 XL No Worky in Top PCIe Slot

Guest OCNoob_merged

Are there any reasons why my MSI X800 XL won't work in the top x16 PCIe slot? I've tried it with the (stock) 3/10 BIOS at first, but it wouldn't boot. The system just stayed at 3 LED's. I tried the second x16 PCIe slot and amazingly, it booted. After I installed WinXP and the latest catalyst drivers, along with, .NET 1.1, I proceeded to a BIOS flash. It worked out fine and just now I attempted to try it again in the top x16 PCIe slot with no avail. :confused:

All power connections on the motherboard are connected and the jumpers are set for single card mode. I'm asking because I don't want my X800 XL gasping hard for air when those two PCI slots get filled.

Thanks in advance. :)

do you have all 4 power connectors attached to motherboard?

Yes, I'm definite that the four power connectors are attached to the mobo.

Nope, this is my only PCIe card. I've got my PCI cirrus logic card that I can use to troubleshoot further with, but I've already used it for that purpose. I tried these combinations:

X800 XL top slot - No POST

X800 XL bottom slot - POST

PCI card in top most PCI slot and X800 XL in top slot - No POST

PCI card in bottom most PCI slot and X800 XL in bottom slot - POST

I'm 100% certain the card is pushed in all the way.

I have an ATI x800xl and had the exact same problem...all I could figure to do was leave it in the bottom slot. However, even if my top slot worked, i think the card bears down on the chipset fan, which I don't want to mess with. Although this doesn't help, at least you know it's not a fluke with your board....

Did you make sure the jumpers are set right? Mine came set for the top slot but i guess its possible for it to get shipped setup for lower slot.

Are there any jumpers that allows this? The only jumper I can see that relates to this are the SLI jumpers, but that's a longshot.

I have an ATI x800xl and had the exact same problem...all I could figure to do was leave it in the bottom slot. However, even if my top slot worked, i think the card bears down on the chipset fan, which I don't want to mess with. Although this doesn't help, at least you know it's not a fluke with your board....

I've noticed the same tension on the chipset HSF, so I was a bit worried about that too. Anyway, thanks for the reassuring comment! :)